Mauna Kea manta snorkel on your own

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Volksfolks Was wondering if you would give your opinion as to what to wear for protection at Mauna Kea if going to see the mantas at night for snorkeling - will be there in late Oct./early Nov. Would a wetsuit be needed?
Yes, wear a wetsuit. A 5 mil and hood would be a good idea.

@Volksfolks Was wondering if you would give your opinion as to what to wear for protection at Mauna Kea if going to see the mantas at night for snorkeling - will be there in late Oct./early Nov. Would a wetsuit be needed?
I wore a 2/3 in November and was toasty, other times I just wear my skin suit. Just depends on your cold tolerance and how long you want to be out there.

Mid-October to early December I'm happy in 3 mm shortie.

Aloha, Maui here. I apologize for my ignorance, but can anyone point me to any information about this snorkel/dive? I'm taking my fiance over there for her birthday in a few weeks and I was planning on doing the Sheraton location on our own. Sounds like this might be a whole lot less of a zoo and a better experience.

Mahalo!!

Lyle

I'm familiar with the boats, I understand it's a zoo. Would prefer to do either location from shore, no time limits and I can freedive.

Thanks

I'm familiar with the boats, I understand it's a zoo. Would prefer to do either location from shore, no time limits and I can freedive.

Thanks
Go Sheraton (Keauhou Bay) any time of day. We've seen up to 5 mantas there with no humans around. Spotted eagle rays almost every dive. A school of 5 of them once, and once one ray was so huge we mistook her for a manta at first.

@jonhall sorry, I just saw this. That really depends on you, I dive a 1mm year round here. Water temp that time of year should be about 78 deg

Thanks. I'll be taking a 3mm full or a shortie with me for diving.

Was wondering more about what the 2 wives in our group could get away with snorkeling in the evening/night, but 78º gives me a pretty good idea.

Fyi, one of my coworkers tried to night snorkel at Mauna Kea a few months ago and were told off by the valet
"...showed up at the resort for an evening drink, and the resort gave us a hard time about trying to snorkel on our own at night out there. Basically the valet parking guys noticed me trying to smuggle out my not-very-subtle bag of snorkeling gear and was like, "is that snorkel gear? You can't do that." Maybe we could have gotten away with it if my bag had been more reasonably sized, but I know they're doing official snorkel tours starting at the resort now so they may also be cracking down on it."

so YMMV

Back
Top Bottom