Maui with NEX-5 & Nauticam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supersand

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since there's a new Sony forum I thought I post up a few NEX-5 Nauticam pics from a recent trip to Maui.

-Erik

Mala Wharf stitch panorama (16mm lens with flat pancake port)

Frog Fish on St. Anthony rigging (18-55mm lens and corresponding port)

Turtle at Ahihi Bay (16mm lens with fisheye converter and dome port)

Frog fish at Mala Wharf (16mm lens with flat pancake port)

A nice selection of shots.

Is the "stitch panorama" shot put together by you after the dive or was it made with the camera panorama function?

A nice selection of shots.

Is the "stitch panorama" shot put together by you after the dive or was it made with the camera panorama function?

Thanks

The stitch panorama was created in camera using the sweep panorama setting. Holding the camera in landscape orientation and sweeping horizontally produced this panorama, it works sometimes, but many times there are really bad stitch irregularities or apparent changes in exposure. Its been my experience that holding the camera in a portrait orientation and sweeping horizontally seems to work a little better but obviously the shot won't be as wide.

Erik

Very nice pics! I cannot wait to get in the water with my NEX-5 in Bali in 2 weeks.

How was using the 18-55? I'm only asking because you only posted one photo with it. Specifically, how was it at 18mm with the port? Do I have to shell out for the 16mm pancake, fisheye, and dome? (somebody should have warned me how expensive this hobby is!)

How was using the 18-55? I'm only asking because you only posted one photo with it. Specifically, how was it at 18mm with the port? Do I have to shell out for the 16mm pancake, fisheye, and dome? (somebody should have warned me how expensive this hobby is!)

I probably used the 18-55mm about 70% of the time. With the zoom its more versatile and the wet mount macro lens can be used with it as well. I just decided post a cross section of photos using the different combinations, but most of the photos taken on the trip were with the 18-55mm.

I'm just starting out with underwater photography so I wasn't sure what setup would work best so I tried them all out on the trip.

-Erik

Those are nice shots. Just how much of a newby underwater photographer are you?

What settings were you using? Did you have a separate strobe?

I looked at the Nex cameras, but there were some questions about controls. I have owned a couple of Sony digicams and they have always had pleasing, saturated color rendition.

Those are nice shots. Just how much of a newby underwater photographer are you?

What settings were you using? Did you have a separate strobe?

I looked at the Nex cameras, but there were some questions about controls. I have owned a couple of Sony digicams and they have always had pleasing, saturated color rendition.

Thanks! I had only had the camera out here diving in CA 3-4 times before going to HI with it. I think in the case of underwater photography the equipment can make a big difference in the quality of the photos.

As far as the setup I have 2 Inon Z-240 strobes on ultralight arms used TTL for all the shots and just played with the shutter/ aperture and strobe position to get the desired background foreground lighting and minimize backscatter. The photos in the post are some of the better ones from the trip but I took loads of garbage ones as well.

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom