Maui. What's the one dive i NEED to hit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

offroadr1

Contributor
Reaction score
Flying to Maui in the morning. I have time to make 1 dive while I'm there. What's the can't miss dive site? I was originally thinking the crater but I've seen people say it's not worth it. All firsthand info is greatly appreciated.

Joey

I’ve enjoyed the crater, dove it twice and had fun it both times.

But if there was just one dive to make, I’d agree with mala warf.

On mala you’re all but guaranteed to see black tip reef sharks as well as multiple turtles. I’ve seen snowflake eels at mala, caught a large moray eel out in the wide open sandy bottom just trucking along also at mala.

There hasn’t been the large schools of reef fish at mala as I’ve seen at molokini, but mala has good stuff everywhere you look.

Yet another Mala recommendation. My parents live on the island and though I do think Molokini is great and there are quite a few good dives there, Mala is where I dive every time I'm on the island.

I’ve enjoyed the crater, dove it twice and had fun it both times.

But if there was just one dive to make, I’d agree with mala warf.

On mala you’re all but guaranteed to see black tip reef sharks as well as multiple turtles. I’ve seen snowflake eels at mala, caught a large moray eel out in the wide open sandy bottom just trucking along also at mala.

There hasn’t been the large schools of reef fish at mala as I’ve seen at molokini, but mala has good stuff everywhere you look.
a black tip? i live here and dive mala all the time and have never seen a black tip there.. white tip yes. not guaranteed though. i’ve seen a Galapagos and tiger there.

my favorite shore dive sites, and not in any particular order, are (westside) mala and old airport, southside would be makena landing and kihei boat ramp. northside maliko gulch (scooter preferred). boat would be molokini backwall both sides, lanai cathedrals and probably triple anchors.

a black tip? i live here and dive mala all the time and have never seen a black tip there.. white tip yes. not guaranteed though. i’ve seen a Galapagos and tiger there.

my favorite shore dive sites, and not in any particular order, are (westside) mala and old airport, southside would be makena landing and kihei boat ramp. northside maliko gulch (scooter preferred). boat would be molokini backwall both sides, lanai cathedrals and probably triple anchors.

You’re right - my memory was wrong. White tip reef sharks, not black. Thanks for catching that.

I've heard mixed reviews of the backward, but I really want to do it. This makes me think more about doing the backwall. For those in the know, do season's matter much for backwall sights? Other than avoiding the Christmas rush I can hop over to see mom and dad whenever.

I've heard mixed reviews of the backward, but I really want to do it. This makes me think more about doing the backwall. For those in the know, do season's matter much for backwall sights? Other than avoiding the Christmas rush I can hop over to see mom and dad whenever.
You can get whale sharks in the summer and humpbacks in the winter. that can be in the crater too

Backside Molokini is great, I did the deepest dive of my life there, 137. Molokai, you can do the hammerhead dive with Lahaina Divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom