Maui diving early April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We originally planned on mostly shore diving this trip, but the weather quickly changed our plans. All of the rain that's fallen in the past couple of weeks on Haleakala has turned inshore waters very green with poor viz. Today the wind was so strong that nobody was able to dive Molokini and had our boat (and everyone else) heading south to La Perouse. Rough ride home on the wind driven waves, but the diving was good.

Water temp is 72-74 degrees, depending on whose computer you looked at.

Thanks for the report, keep them coming. I miss being over there. Just worked a class at our local lake last weekend, H20 is up to a
hot & Steamy 52 degrees now, viz was good at 25 feet LOL. Cant wait for a excuse to get back to Maui.

The wind has been howling the past 2 days but will hopefully die down today. Again Molokini was impossible to dive yesterday, and there were no off shore S. Maui sites diveable. Even La Perouse had big waves. We were glad to be doing chores in our condo instead of out on the water. Hopefully today is the last windy day.

I got quite a few decent dives in during early April. Even when it was windy. Most of the run-off in the south was around Kihei. You just have to know where to go I guess... It'[s gotten much better and today we had around 60-70 feet of viz around Five Caves area.

The water cleaned up for a couple of days during the end of our week there, so all wasn't lost. For us it isn't that big of a deal if we miss a few days of diving since we're on island every few months, but this is why I recommend booking a charter or two to visitors.

And prioritizing scuba so you book for the beginning of the trip just in case water conditions are sloppy you might still get to postpone a few days and still get your bubble fix on. Never plan your only dives for the end of the trip because it might not always work out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom