Maui diving - boat or shore? Buddies? 26 March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

Thanks to everyone for the informative posts. I've read about where to dive on Maui and who to use as a charter. Here is my question - I will be in Maui (in Lahaina) 26 March to 1 April - are there any shore dives worth doing and is anyone interested in buddying up with me? Are there any clubs that I should contact? I will be happy to buy beer and a meal for a buddy. The rest of my family are non-divers. It is my first time in Maui.

Regards,

Crush

Edit: title should be "boat or shore"

Last edited:
Instead of a beer and a meal it would probably be about the same price to hire a professional shore guide. I can personally recommend shakadoug from this forum because I had fun diving with him. I know there are others in Maui as well.

Shaka Doug can't work in the Lahaina area.

Edit: title should be "boat or shore"
fixed that...

Decent Shore dives in that area are Black Rock and Old Airport Beach. Nothing off the West Maui shore is very deep so not much over 40-50'. Kapalua Beach also possibly. Mala Pier is about the best but it's best done at night off Lahaina Divers boat. The legal entry is difficult to navigate around the coral and the illegal easier entry can get you a ticket. Someone posted they're seeing more ticketing there recently.

Lahaina Divers lists some shore dive info. Maui Beach Diving

Maui Dive Shop also has a shore dive guide in their stores. Either has tanks for shore dives also - MDS has two convenient locations - one in Lahaina Gateway mall and the other on the way to Kapalua in Kahana Gateway mall. The Kahana location especially is convenient - just off the main road. Maui Dive Shop Locations | Dive Shops on Maui | Maui Dive Stores | Surf Stores on Maui

Tim at Tiny Bubbles also does guided shore dives. Scuba Dive Maui Ka'anapali Lahaina Hawaii Snorkel | 808.870.0878 | Tiny Bubbles Scuba Diving Specializing in Private Scuba Dives.Snorkel Tours. and Scuba Diving Instruction on Maui | Let's Get Tanked

If you did want to drive down to the Kihei area (45mins.) there's other options. I also recommend Shaka Doug, there's also Maui Dreams Dive Co. both specialize in shore diving in that area. Some of the better sites are Polo, Wailea, Ulua Beaches or Makena Landing and 5 Caves. The Kamaole Beach sites tend to be over-run with tourists - there's lot of condos in that area.

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

Thanks for the replies. diversteve, the link to Lahaina Divers (Maui Beach Diving) was especially helpful.

Lots of great shore dives. Get the shore site guide from any Maui DIve Shop, which will also rent you air tanks and lead and a flag, and where you can likely team up with a buddy or group. South end of the Island sites that are good from shore include Ulua Bay and 5 caves and McKenna. West end there is Mala Pier, Black Rock and Old Airport, and in between these Olowalu is a great site. There are many more. Take some time to do your own research and you will have a more enjoyable time.
DivemasterDennis

Crush,

If you can swing it, consider shooting down to South Maui for a dive too. There are some great shore dives in South Maui and it's not that long of a drive (very pretty drive in fact.) I know it can be tough when you're the only diver in the family, but maybe tie-it in with a day at a South Maui beach for the family while you go diving. They can catch some rays, do a little snorkeling, and walk along the Wailea Beach path. Just an idea.

Also, Shaka Doug's trips get very positive reviews and comments. You might want to check him out.

Enjoy your trip and be sure to do some snorkeling too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom