Maui dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaTec

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
My wife and I have been on Maui for the last month, I have pulled off 21 dives in that time so thought I would pass on my report.
First I would not call Maui destination diving, meaning you come here to vacation and then do a dive, you don't come here for a dive vacation. With one exception and that is molokai'i hammerhead shark diving...I will get into that later.

I lived on Maui and work as a diver from 1980 - 1989 and did some great diving, my goal this trip was to revisit some of those dive sites from basic to advance.

I started with a trip to Molokini crater, in the 80's I dove it every day for about five years and never got tired of it. Today I would call it a well beaten pathway everything seems minimum and worn. There were few fish and the coral has been trampled. The vis was awesome, over 150 feet.
I did two dives there at different times
1st the crater outer reef, I went with Scuba Shack. They were good at their job of taking divers diving, but it was obvious that they hated tourist, they had been doing this job way to long and not only was any question answered like pressing play on a tape recorder, even the complaint about having to answer the question had become part of the answer. the dive guide says that if we want to see stuff then make sure we follow him, well he drops to the bottom and starts his own little macro photo session of what little stuff there is, he never went further than about 50 feet from the boat anchor and never stopped taking pictures of the little critters. When we got back on the boat and if you asked to see what he was so busy taking pictures of he just walked away from you with no response. If you want a taxi ride without the fun or excitement that goes along with sharing your experiences and interacting with the people taking you out then go here otherwise there are some other great choices. The dive itself, we never went further than 50 feet from the mooring anchor, there was not much there.
The second trip out was at reefs end with a drift around the back side. Went with the same people cause they were the only ones doing the back side at that time. I was prepared for the taxi ride and jumped in basically doing my own dive, this is a good drift dive, in the 80's there where always 5 or 6 sharks that hung around there, we didn't see any, you could see forever and the coral etc was in a little better condition, but all the fish are gone
I decided my days of diving Molokini are over I would leave it to the 1000's of snorkelers and discover diving divers to go and bounce off the bottom there destroying what’s left.

Next trip was with Ed Robinson....one word about the operation...FANTASTIC!!
When I got on the boat I saw this nice little old lady helping everyone, when she said she was our dive guide I was surprised, after our first dive together I thought I was diving with Jacques Cousteau's mother the one who taught Jacques how to dive. she knew everything about everything that we saw, maybe a cross between Wikipedia and Jacques would be better, she spent the whole dive pointing out stuff we would have never seen this woman has an eagle eye and spots stuff a mile away takes us there to check it out and then has something else to go see. I did a three dive charter with them that day, the winds where really bad and the water was rough so we had limited options as to where we could dive. My goal was to dive South Maui. We first hit this tank that sits out in the middle of nowhere it is a short dive, I would have chosen to do it as our last dive since you can see it all with about a 1000psi but the weather trapped us in a bit. Later we went a bit past La Puruse this is where we saw tones of marine life and had the great opportunity to dive with Jacques mother and see stuff others would miss. vis was over 100 feet maybe over 150 feet, and tons of marine life. Our third dive was also somewhere along south Maui in the La Puruse area, it too was incredible...as far as Maui diving goes.
all in all I would highly recommend Ed Robinson with one added suggestion don't rent there wet suits, there rental gear is a little dated and there wet suits should have been tossed overboard five years ago...these guys are set up for people who bring their own gear. But as long as you’re ok with gear that’s been used hard but still works well then no prob. I also had a friend who dove with Mike Severns and had the same sort of reviews. I did not dive with them but did hear great things about them too
Next I wanted to go to an old favorite dive site Five graves. I didn’t remember how to get there or where to go underwater once I was there so I hired a guy who does shore dives. Shaka Dive..His name is Doug. You meet him and he is driving an old school bus and then follows him to the dive site. I am not sure how to comment on Shaka he’s been diving the same shore dive sites on South Maui for 13 years, he know the sites inside and out, and will take you right to the resident eel, or turtle or whatever, I want to go to the caves and he was happy to take me there even when I passed by one he called me over and pointed it out. He knew where the frog fish was going to be, which I had never seen one so big it was the cool fish of the trip…well except for the schooling hammer heads on another dive, but that’s later. We had two kids about 10 years old and he was fantastic with them, if you want to just drop your kids off and leaving them to go diving, Shaka is the guy to do it with. On the down side, the whole thing is slow slow slow, tow beach dive was going to involve almost six hours. Upon hearing this I opted to do just the one dive. His gear well every piece of gear had a problem maybe even a major problem it was stuff that was being used on Maui in the 80’s as rental gear ever since with no maintenance. I got in the water and found my BCD would not hold air he did offer to switch with his gear but I figured it looked to be the same condition so what was the point. The diving was only 40 feet to the bottom so I went like the good old days without a BCD kind of like using the old Hawaiian back pack. The diving was pretty good, lots of turtles, lots of reef fish, a dive guide who knew the reef, the history of the dive site, was a lot of fun, great with kids and cheap. I would recommend the dive site and Shaka diver for shore dives with the following caveats. Bring your own gear and plan to spend the whole day to do two dives.
After that I rented gear from Maui Dive shop, they have great gear at a good price, 34.00 per day gets you everything including one tank of air, which you get a free refill every day. They are happy to explain where the good shore dives are. They are in it for the sales thought; the people working in the shop are salesmen more than divers. They will work hard to send you on one of their boats, which might not be a bad thing; I didn’t go I just wanted the gear.
My goal was to do some of the great dives that few know about on the north shore, Hobbit Land, Blow Hole, Honolua Bay, Nipili Bay etc. but the wind was blowing at 50 miles per hour, the seas where 15 feet and the waves where breaking in the 20 foot range ….so I went surfing instead, Honolua was going off…but that’s a different story. I missed out on the North shore diving on this trip. I did do more beach diving in South Kihei, which I think might be the best diving left on Maui. With the exception of Black Rock in Kaanapali, but it is so jammed with people, but it is also still jammed with fish too. Not as many but for the west side still pretty good. There are other good west side dives that we did not do on this trip; shark pit is a favorite, Olowalu point, and a few others.
Next was Lahaina Divers to Molokai’I, the operation is a great, they are organized efficient professional and good host, they are friendly informative, accommodating and knowledgeable. The trip to Molokai’I is an adventure all in itself, the Pailolo channel is one of the roughest in the world according to the boat captain. There was 30 – 40 mile an hour winds with 15 foot seas for about 25 minutes when we crossed, then the wind calms right down but the swell, seas stay pretty much the same, it id=s rough on the surface, underwater it is like a swimming pool. There is 150 + visibility and tons of marine life, we dove a reef call fish rain because when you are down about 80 feet the reef fish are just raining down on you. There is current though, if anyone’s been to Blue corner in Palau, pretty much the same situation. But this dive is a drift dive so you feel nothing unless you hold onto the one ledge there, which we did , the current ripped my mask off and I could barely hold my reg in my mouth, we would hold on until everyone gathered together then let go and get shot out in the open ocean where the bottom is about 140 feet the water is so blue and then you see them, maybe a fifty to a hundred hammerhead sharks schooling above and below you, you ride the current around and then swim back to that ledge and do it again in giant circles. On one dive we jumped in the water just as about a hundred spinner dolphins swam right through our group of six divers, with a whale breaching about 100 feet away,
This dive is definitely an advanced dive just to get back in the boat, of course getting out of the boat was easy just put your gear on stand up and let go of the boat and you will be thrown overboard by the rough water, once in the water the dives are between 120 feet and 40 feet depending on where the sharks are. You need a computer, great buoyancy control, and you need to monitor your deco statues. There are no babysitting dive masters here…this being said there were a few people on the boat that this dive was over their head and they did die or anything, generally they only did one dive though. Oh and did I mention that all the way there and back which is about 40 minutes there where at least 3 or 4 people sea sick and puking which just left more food for the rest of use, or surface interval was on the boat in the 15 foot seas with wave splashing over the boat and people were either eating lunch or puking over the side. Back to the dives, open ocean diving we dove at this little island about the size of a hotel room as far as floor space it took up, to our east was Maui about 9 miles away, to our west was Molokai’I about a 3 miles away, north Russia, really far away, and south Australia even further, the swells and currents where coming all the way from Russia unobstructed until they hit this island and the sharks just hang out here, they say they are not eating, but I think that is so we actually jump in the water with them. This is the one spot that I would call a destination dive that might equal the Galapagos for the sharks. The down side is, Lahaina divers only go there once a week

Well this is enough for now, I have more details if your planning a trip

Thanks for the trip report. Too bad you had such a poor experience on Molokini, obviously you weren't taken to the right places where the coral isn't so beaten up (though compared to the 80's it probably is beaten up everywhere). Also the weather not letting you get to the S. Maui sites stinks, you would have loved a site like Red Hill...critters everywhere you look!

Kim is the DM on Ed Robinson's boat that you describe. You hit the nail on the head when you described her style of diving and ability to spot critters...she is absolutely amazing!

Kim was great and I did finaly get to dive red hil it was a good dive, I think the best diving on Maui is along the South shore, beach dives

I wish I could clone her. She truly is a waterwoman! I got really really lucky and got to dive with Ed one day and with her on another. I do hope that people aren't scared off of Molokini by this post. Dive it with ERD and you'll have an awesome experience. Drop in at reef's end, drift the whole way around the back, wonderfulness.

About sea height. Wave Height: Information from Answers.com

I've been boating for years and years and years and have seen this argument so many times. I was watching an episode of Speargun Hunter and Sherry was going on and on about them being out in "vicious 8' seas" when they were no more than stiff 4' seas at the most. I've been on large naval vessels, 15' seas are getting serious. You won't find a small craft out in 15' seas. If someone told you they were, and an operator actually crossed in them, all I can say is WOW!

At 1:38 into this vid, there's 18' seas for reference. When I see the buoys at over 5', I never put in, ever, unless it's at the end of a storm with VERY long frequency (long lazy swells). The risk factor grossly overweighed the fun factor.

YouTube - Heavy weather video footage of Interceptors in rough seas

I hope I didn't beat this to death, I just want to help people to understand the wet stuff we love so much.

Huck-It doesn't surprise me in the least that Lahaina Divers took passengers out in 15' swells at all; that Pailolo Channel is rough and they make the trip almost every week (90% of the time). They've got the right boats for the job. Not mentioned: the importance of wave frequency. I've been in 10' swells with a period of about 30 seconds and it wasn't too bad unless you got into the surf zone, but I've also been in 4' chop in the same boat that treated your back like a 2x4.

I would agree, though, that Molokai is one of Hawaii's best dive sites for sure, as long as you can stand the ride out.

I agree with you about Molokini. Even in the five years I've been diving, the decrease in fish there has been depressing. We really don't bother to go boat diving on Maui much any more, although your report has me inspired again to try the Molokai trip. We keep trying to get out with North Shore Explorers, to see something different, but their boat has been laid up the three times now that we have tried.

AquaTec ---- Fantastic report, I really appreciated it. I'm actually headed to Maui on Thursday morning and am splitting 13 dives between Lahaina Divers and Ed Robinson. I think I'm hitting some of the better known spots and some off the beaten path spots in South Maui with Ed Robinson on my last day of diving.

I'm headed to Molokai’I as well. This is actually my most anticipated dive as I would love to see and photograph hammer heads. I've got my fingers crossed!

Thanks,

Not to hijack the thread but just a note on wave height...

Most any news or surf reporting agency here in the islands readily explains that locally it is customary to describe wave height by the height of the face of the wave. Yes, this does differ from the customary way that wave height is described elsewhere. This just points out that understanding local customs is key to understanding local descriptors.

That having been said a 15 foot wave as described in Hawaiian island terms would equate to about a 7 to 8 foot wave as measured from the back of the wave as is done in most other areas. That is still a pretty significant wave.

As noted by smellzlikefish the interval or frequency of the wave will also certainly effect the impact of the wave on a vessel and it's passengers. The 48 foot Lahaina Divers boats are well equipped to handle these waves though certainly the trip in those conditions is still not for the faint of heart (or stomach).

The original posters comments are much appreciated as it seems a pretty fair post where care was taken to try to note the pros and cons of each experience. I think many folks will find it useful. Thank you.

I have only been living in Hawaii since 'late 89 so my relatively recent understanding of wave height forecasting and reporting is that the "Hawaiian Way" is not the face height, it is measured from the back.

The News Media has over reacted to tourist deaths from big waves back in the Hawaiian Way reporting days; seems many of our visitors were from places where the face height is how they measured waves, so visitors were charging Hawaiian 8-12 reef break on rented boards and occasionally ending up dead, or boogie boarding 3-5 shore break and ending up paralyzed, snorkeling or kayaking in 2-4 with trades and being swept out to sea, even standing on the beach "watching" in slippers and Aloha Shirts getting sucked out by rogue waves that come wayy up on shore.

The lawyers for the TV News and Newspapers pretty much forced all TV and Newspapers to only report and forecast in face heights to reduce their liability for death and injury; the National Weather Service may have been first to change, or they were faces all along, here and for the Mainland.

Guy Hagi on KGMB was one of the holdouts who refused to use face heights for as long as possible, and then probably did a couple years of "making a point" every night by forecasting and reporting in both Hawaiian and Faces. That was all 5-10 years ago, now all the dogs are on short leashes, only face height reporting and forecasting; well, maybe Glen James web site is still Hawaiian, and there has to be Hawaii Surf sites that still use Hawaiian.

That relates to surfing waves, ending my part of the hijack;

Surf waves are not the waves of discussion in this thread. As far as I know channel wave heights are measured the same here as in any Country using English measurements; channel wind speeds would be spoken of in knots' I believe.

How about a new unit that encompasses everything from wind speed, wave height, wave frequency, current speed, and even shark length? We could call it "Pucker Factor." We could scale it from zero to ten.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom