Maui dive report 7/7/21: honolua bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mala pier is on the list for our upcoming trip. Question - one of the dive ops is pushing for everyone to use a floating dive flag. They say you can get fined and ticketed for not using... Is this really true? Seems like a big stretch. we have done shore diving all over and never heard of this.

Mala pier is on the list for our upcoming trip. Question - one of the dive ops is pushing for everyone to use a floating dive flag. They say you can get fined and ticketed for not using... Is this really true? Seems like a big stretch. we have done shore diving all over and never heard of this.
I've heard of people getting fined for this at Mala Pier as you come out of the water. You just have to be unlucky to be caught however. As I was diving with locals last time I was there, they all had one.

Good to know! I am not usually lucky...Illl be buying or renting. Many thanks!!
I'd get one of those cheap inflatable ones.

What I’ve seen done at both Mala Wharf and Electric Beach is that the flag is taken out to somewhere “out” and left in one place while you dive around the area, and then picked up on the way back in.

something like this would work with a cheap reel?
Yes.

What I’ve seen done at both Mala Wharf and Electric Beach is that the flag is taken out to somewhere “out” and left in one place while you dive around the area, and then picked up on the way back in.

Yup. That's how it is done everywhere I've been.

looks like the dive op we are using for a couple day on the boat rents them for $6 a day - these have a weight on them to drop in the sand as to not tie up to anything - PERFECT!

thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom