Maui dive operations - October 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I find myself in the unfortunate position of traveling to Maui on opening day to tourists - October 15th (with neg covid results) due to a pre-booked trip. I am having difficulty finding a dive operation that will be open...Lahaina Divers isn't opening until November 1. I am waiting to hear back on numerous others....any one have insight on operations that plan to open on October 15th? TIA

I believe many operators may wait for word from the Hawaii Division of Boating and Recreation (DOBAR) before they decide on when to open.

I know in Oahu the previous order DOBAR said we could run 50% of our COI and then came back and said "Nope"

Commercial marine operators that provide tours such as sunset cruises, snorkeling, surf schools, catamaran rides, scuba diving, etc. are not deemed to be Essential Businesses and are prohibited from operating while this Order remains in effect or as may be amended in the future.​

Usually takes a couple days to filter down.

I've done the majority of my diving in Maui. For boat diving, my go to's are Mike Severns Diving (Mike Severns Diving) for the south side (Kihei) and Extended Horizons (Extended Horizons Scuba Maui) for the northwest side (Lahaina). Based on facebook updates, I *think* Mike Severns is open but I'd call to make sure. I'm not certain about Extended Horizons so you'll need to call, but I would highly recommend them over Lahaina Divers. Lahaina Divers has huge boats with lots of people whereas both Mike Severns and Extended Horizons have smaller boats that max out at around 12 divers - plus the people at both of these operations are top notch. When I dove Lahaina Divers, it was much more hit & miss when it came to guides, etc.

If you can't get boat dives, there are also lots of great shore dives available. I usually stay at Kaanapali (just north of Lahaina) so most of my shore dives are in that area - and they are awesome. In particular Mala Wharf and Black Rock are standouts - both as day and night dives. Mala is probably my favorite - so it's no wonder it's also a common boat dive location from many of the local dive shops. Amazing dive and it's only a few seconds drive to the dock. If you shore dive it, try to do it at high tide as it makes the walk out far easier.

Update from DOBAR

DLNR issued new guidelines for State parks, beaches, trails and boating on September 23, 2020.

On personal recreational boats, no more than five people are allowed in any personal boat on Hawaii’s waters for recreational purposes. All boats shall maintain 20-feet from other boats when in use.

Commercial recreational boating operations must limit occupancy to no more than twenty five percent (25%) of the maximum occupant load of the vessel; implement protocols to ensure that guests maintain proper physical distancing; prohibit food or drinks from being served or consumed within the vessel cabin (if any); and obtain and keep the names, addresses, and phone numbers of guests for contact tracing purposes.​

Maui Dreams in Kihei is open now. We have dove with them an number of times and they run a really great shop with an excellent dive staff.

I've done the majority of my diving in Maui. For boat diving, my go to's are Mike Severns Diving (Mike Severns Diving) for the south side (Kihei) and Extended Horizons (Extended Horizons Scuba Maui) for the northwest side (Lahaina). Based on facebook updates, I *think* Mike Severns is open but I'd call to make sure. I'm not certain about Extended Horizons so you'll need to call, but I would highly recommend them over Lahaina Divers. Lahaina Divers has huge boats with lots of people whereas both Mike Severns and Extended Horizons have smaller boats that max out at around 12 divers - plus the people at both of these operations are top notch. When I dove Lahaina Divers, it was much more hit & miss when it came to guides, etc.

If you can't get boat dives, there are also lots of great shore dives available. I usually stay at Kaanapali (just north of Lahaina) so most of my shore dives are in that area - and they are awesome. In particular Mala Wharf and Black Rock are standouts - both as day and night dives. Mala is probably my favorite - so it's no wonder it's also a common boat dive location from many of the local dive shops. Amazing dive and it's only a few seconds drive to the dock. If you shore dive it, try to do it at high tide as it makes the walk out far easier.
Thank you for the suggestions, will check them out!

Have you tried Ed Robinson’s? Not sure if they’re open, but they’re my preferred dive op

Ed is done - he sold his last boat to Prodiver Maui. (Suzzy may still be doing the snorkeling thing, but ERDA is no more.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom