Maui Dive op recs (south side)-want turtles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Title pretty much says it all - any dive op recs (experienced diver) especially if I want to see some turtles, (avid photographer). I think I dove with Ed Robinson about 9 years ago - had a great time. Not sure how the dive ops work in regards to locations (decide before hand vs decide on the way out). Diving in february if that makes any difference.

Shore diving - any recs (either west of south)?

Lahaina Divers does a generic 2nd dive to "Turtle Town" one of many West Maui sites they dive based on conditions.

Check with them or someone else also, some years ago my buddy did a dive to the Carpathian and not only were they living on the decks, one came up to greet them as they dropped. It could've been almost a decade ago though so check to see if they're still there - it's a deeper wreck so bottom time is limited.

I've heard the Tigers pick off turtles at Olawalu pretty often - it's a shore dive. I didn't see any there though - nor any Tigers.

If you ever get over to Kauai, Sheraton Caverns is practically guaranteed, those big (5-6') geen turtles live there in the lava tubes and cliff openings - we all posed with one sleeping there until somebody accidentally kicked it, it spent the rest of the dive circling overhead waiting for us to leave.

Ed Robinson's does a great job for sure. Likely to be very happy with them. I'd have no problem sending anyone to dive with them. For myself, I find that Mike Severn's is the best of the best in the islands and I always dive with them when I hop over from Kauai.

Depending on swell and shore conditions - I'd look into the shore dive at Makena Landing in Kihei. GREAT photo spot if conditions are good. Turtles, frogfish, white tip reef sharks, octopus and much more. Max depth short of 40ft so you'll get great bottom time.

Mala Wharf, Black Rock, Honolua Bay are all excellent upper west side shore dives that have great turtles as well. They would be dependent on what the swell is doing at the time of your visit.

Maui has a fantastic shore diving guide that you can pick up very cheap. It'll tell you the best of the best spots to see turtles.

Good luck planning! Maui is awesome the time of year you are visiting.
A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom