Master of disguise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Piggy backing off of Dee's wed photo. This guy was out on the sand with nowhere to hide. When I approached, it changed colors and melted into the sand. Looked like it had been poured on the sand. After I backed off, it re-inflated and moved off.

316octo.jpg

316octo1.jpg

That's amazing! In the second one, if it wasn't for his eyes, it would almost impossible to find it, much less identify it.

Those are great shots. I'm always amazed to watch those guys changing color as they move along the bottom. Their camouflage is almost perfect at times.

Here is a picture of a Giant Pacific Octopus ( must be a cousin to yours ) between color changes as it dropped down a wall yesterday in Puget Sound.

Octopus4.jpg

Rooster once bubbled...
Piggy backing off of Dee's wed photo. This guy was out on the sand with nowhere to hide. When I approached, it changed colors and melted into the sand. Looked like it had been poured on the sand. After I backed off, it re-inflated and moved off.
Absolutely superb!
Rick

boydski once bubbled...
Those are great shots. I'm always amazed to watch those guys changing color as they move along the bottom. Their camouflage is almost perfect at times.

Here is a picture of a Giant Pacific Octopus ( must be a cousin to yours ) between color changes as it dropped down a wall yesterday in Puget Sound.

How big? Looks very large compared to the small fish on the lower right.

boydski once bubbled...

Wow, awesome shot! I'd be wary of these guys now, though. Particularly after seeing the video of one of them catching and killing a 4-5ft shark.

-Roman.

notabob once bubbled...
I'd be wary of these guys now, though. Particularly after seeing the video of one of them catching and killing a 4-5ft shark.

-Roman.

I saw that video the other day, and it was actually on PBS again last night. You're right, it suprised me that an Octopus would capture and eat a 4' shark! There are more photos of the Octopus here , and as soon as I took the 4th picture, he "reached out and said Hello", which startled me, and made me remember the video!

How big? Looks very large compared to the small fish on the lower right.

This is a Medium-large Octopus ( and probably a Male ), the Mantel ( head area ) is about as long as a Beach Ball, but the legs were only about 7' long. We saw one that was much bigger a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't have my camera. Seems like you always see the coolest stuff when you leave your camera at home! :D

I really loved the part where the keepers started out thinking the octopus might not survive in the aquarium with those big sharks and when the sharks started disappearing they didn't know what to say <LOL>.

There was some awesome video of that octopus habitrail with the animal moving down those glass spirals and through little slits in the wall. Amazing, driven by curiosity and intelligence.

The best part of the show was the video made in the dark when one of the keepers observed that crabs in a nearby tank kept ending up as shells but their was no evidence. So they stayed overnight and videotaped the octopus leaving the aquarium sliding down the side, crossing the floor, climbing up the side of the crab tank eating its fill, then returning again to it's own aquarium. Unbelievable, when you actually see these things happening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom