Masks still In The Dark Ages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I keep waiting for a full view non distorting mask to be available but alas it has not happened. I miss so much stuff while diving because my vision is so restricted in all directions except directly forward. 3-6 window masks help marginally but those peripheral windows have much distortion in them. Is it a cost, design, or optical problem that has kept masks in the dark ages? "Did you see the manta, shark, dolphin, whale on that dive? " "Nooooooo."

You may not have seen the HydroOptix. Ugliest thing ever made, but optically correct....

HydroOptix masks seem to have mixed reviews. Unless you are near sighted, don't mind lens scratches, big volume and leaks hence the dual purge valves, and are willing to take it off when above water, got $250, sigh..... I am still waiting.....

My dirt cheap solution so far. A regular mask. Contact lenses just for correcting "far" vision.

It makes for reading stuff up close more difficult, unless I use reading glasses.

One-Day contact lenses. Costs about 1$ each when bought in qty of 20.

Got them first through a store that sells glasses, then bought more online. I put them on just before leaving for a dive, after the dives I take them off.

Never had an issue "losing" a contact lens when mask clearing UW. It does present a challenge for UW photography though, I have no idea if the camera "focused" or not !!!

Try slowing down and scanning with your head. Darting your eyes back and forth doesn't help to focus in on what you're looking at.

If you want more periphery, which isn't a lot to begin with, get a low profile or frameless mask.

"Did you see the manta, shark, dolphin, whale on that dive? " "Nooooooo."

IMHO, for many/most divers, the issue with 'missing seeing something' has a lot more to do with decreased situational awareness rather than restricted quality of vision.

The issue of mask-restricted periphery of vision can easily be overcome by rotating the neck, rather than only the eyeballs. At a push, movement of the whole body overcomes any remaining visual restrictions.

Not sure that I'd pay a grossly-inflated amount for a 'superior optic' mask, rather than just develop my situational awareness :wink:

Low volume, frameless, black skirt, Atomic Aquatics mask. The clear, high quality glass is amazing!
Slow down and look around.

I keep waiting for a full view non distorting mask to be available but alas it has not happened. I miss so much stuff while diving because my vision is so restricted in all directions except directly forward. 3-6 window masks help marginally but those peripheral windows have much distortion in them. Is it a cost, design, or optical problem that has kept masks in the dark ages? "Did you see the manta, shark, dolphin, whale on that dive? " "Nooooooo."

Physics is a harsh mistress. :cool:

A flat mask will always give you a smaller viewable area than you're used to on the surface because of the difference between the refractive index of air and water.

As Wookie mentioned Hydrooptix made a mask that gave much better peripheral vision by using domes for the lenses. The down-side was that it was delicate (scratched easily), and only fit you if you happened to get lucky and have the face it was designed for and either happened to be exactly the right amount of nearsighted, or didn't mind getting fitted for contacts.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom