masks for u/w photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orca125

Reaction score
I have a question about what kind of masks to wear when doing u/w photography, and I was wondering do certain types of masks let more light in or should you get a black skirted masks to cut down on the refraction of light thru the water or does it matter?

orca125:
I have a question about what kind of masks to wear when doing u/w photography, and I was wondering do certain types of masks let more light in or should you get a black skirted masks to cut down on the refraction of light thru the water or does it matter?

It's largely personal preference. I much prefer a black skirt to avoid the distractions of seeing something move in my perifial (sp?) vision.

I'll second Dee's post.
I use a black skirted mask.

I currently use Mares X-vision with black skirt. Prior to this, I used Cressi Big Eyes with clear skirt which I lost when I fell off a boat with it (long story for another time).
Basically there is a bit less distraction with black skirt but I feel like I have a little bit more tunnel vision so I will have to look around a bit more just in case those whale sharks swim by above me :)
I doubt that it makes a hugh difference, just whatever you prefer or more comfortable with.

All three of my masks have black skirts. I prefer them when using my camera. I don't use the Sea Vision much anymore, even though it offers color correction at shallow depth, it just cuts out too much light. Plus your dive buddy cannot see your eyes with the color correction lenses and often your eyes can signal trouble, exitement, etc.

Low volume and a black skirt. This is required if you are looking through the viewfinder of an SLR, you have to cut out the light or you will not be able to read the information in the view finder. I find I can use a clear skirt with my digital setup looking at the screen. The low volume masks get you closer to the view finder.

A mask with a black skirt does help but I have also used masks with clear skirts with my SLR. I didn't notice any real problems with the view finder.

Another type of mask to consider for photography is one with a purge valve , being able to purge your mask with yours hands full is a real advantage.

If you have problems equalizing you need to make sure you get a purge mask with a soft nose , most don't.

Cheers

Low volume black skirt so you can sneak up on the fish like a ninja and look real cool! :icoeek: No, seriously, its a matter of personal preference. Low volume is recommended with a SLR though.

Yep - a friendly instructor once pointed out to me that, as well as anything else, if you are shooting in relatively shallow water, a black skirted mask reduces the light distraction reaching your eyes from the side. This seems to help you see a viewfinder (or digital preview screen) more clearly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom