Mask with Colored lens ..or mirror?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jalvare2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I used a couple of times the MK246 pink colored lens mask from ScubaMax, But I the reflection of my eyes in the glass interfered the view. It was like having a mirror instead of transparent glass. I can not dive like this, now the mask is no longer part of my gear, not even as a spare.

I tried tinted masks before and didn't really like them for three reasons. First, any color-correcting mask cuts down on the total available light reaching your eyes, and unless you only do tropical daytime dives, light is one of those things you can't get enough of underwater.

Second, I dive in a variety of conditions, and the water color ranges from bright blue to dark murky green. In order to accurately correct the color, you really need different filters for each of these extremes.

Third, the color correction only seems to be effective in the first 30-40ft or so, if you go deeper (or dive in darker, murkier water) everything still goes blue/green. And now all of a sudden your dive lights take on a red/purple color.

IMO these masks make more sense for tropical reef/vacation dives, but if you have more variety in your diving, their drawbacks start stacking up quickly.

An inability to see your buddy's eyes clearly and vice versa is also a drawback. Expressions reveal lots of information...

Back
Top Bottom