Mask that Fits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBAholicEd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Masks are a personal fit item. With me this can’t be a more true statement. I have a wide face and finding a mask that fits has been imposable. So I am starting this post to see if I can find a mask that fits.
Of the 6 to 8 shops within 45 minuts drive, they all for the most part carry the same masks. Mainly those by Mares, Tusa, etc. NONE have a choice as to face “size and shape”, just the masks on the wall and you go for it. The first thing I ask when I go in is “do you have a mask to fit a wide face?” They say, “I don’t know, have you tried them on?” Looking at the VERY limited selection, yes I have about 6 times today.

I finally went on a shop run. I went to every shop in the valley. About 10 or 11 shops. Most still had the same masks. I found a few new selections and made some interesting discoveries. First most mask companies have the same masks they just give them different names. So that is why there is such a small selection of masks. But with most shops only offering what I would call “Main stream” product lines, there probably is smaller lines available that are just not carried in these shops. That is what I am looking for.

The only mask that just barely fits me is the Tilos Titanica (also the only one in all black).
I found that XS scuba’s Cortez is the same mask. ScubaPro’s Wide Vu as well. BUT Tusa’s Visualator looks the same like it was made in the same factory, BUT the skirt is slightly different and the visualator leaks a lot more than the Titanica.
If a mask were just 1/8 inch wider than the Titanica, that would be the find for me!
Anyone, is there a mask out there for wide faces OTHER than what I have mentioned?
Please help if you can.
THX
Ed

Last edited:
Atomic Aquatics makes a wide face mask.I have a Dive-rite that fits my wide face well.Good luck with your search.

So does Scubapro. Try their framless. Its a classic low volume mask. Also, I second the Atomic. Its really that good of a mask. Both should fit really well.

try the standard oceanic shadow. I own one and I'm gonna buy another. the most comfortable mask I have tried.

Have the Atomic Aquatics...good mask.

Another vote for the classic Scubapro frameless. I'm a big guy, and that's the mask on my ugly mug in my profile picture. Good luck!

I Havs Deep Set Eyes And A Prominent Brow (from My Cave Man Ancestors For Warding Off Club Blows).
I Have A Sherwood Magnum Which Is Low Volume. I Also Have The Xs Scuba Merge. Both Fit, But The Merge Has A Better Downward View. I Like The Merge Best. Sorry About The Caps, (keyboard Broke).

Masks are a personal fit item. With me this can’t be a more true statement. I have a wide face and finding a mask that fits has been imposable. So I am starting this post to see if I can find a mask that fits.
Of the 6 to 8 shops within 45 minuts drive, they all for the most part carry the same masks. Mainly those by Mares, Tusa, etc. NONE have a choice as to face “size and shape”, just the masks on the wall and you go for it. The first thing I ask when I go in is “do you have a mask to fit a wide face?” They say, “I don’t know, have you tried them on?” Looking at the VERY limited selection, yes I have about 6 times today.

I finally went on a shop run. I went to every shop in the valley. About 10 or 11 shops. Most still had the same masks. I found a few new selections and made some interesting discoveries. First most mask companies have the same masks they just give them different names. So that is why there is such a small selection of masks. But with most shops only offering what I would call “Main stream” product lines, there probably is smaller lines available that are just not carried in these shops. That is what I am looking for.

The only mask that just barely fits me is the Tilos Titanica (also the only one in all black).
I found that XS scuba’s Cortez is the same mask. ScubaPro’s Wide Vu as well. BUT Tusa’s Visualator looks the same like it was made in the same factory, BUT the skirt is slightly different and the visualator leaks a lot more than the Titanica.
If a mask were just 1/8 inch wider than the Titanica, that would be the find for me!
Anyone, is there a mask out there for wide faces OTHER than what I have mentioned?
Please help if you can.
THX
Ed

hey ed, you should just come to elmar we/i gauranty the fit.
go dive it for upto 30days and if does not fit , return it for a different one.
its that simple.

btw there are alot of mask that are identical but we have about 40 completely different ones to try. i would start with mares demon or tusa visio tri ex.

the small companys most likely dont have anything to offer thats different than the larger companies that we carry.
anthony 480.833.2971
Interested in Arizona scuba diving? Visit El Mar Diving Center.

Back
Top Bottom