Mask Skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a matter of personal preference and type of diving you do. I have both and personally favor my clear mask better. I would put more emphasis on the fit, comfort, field of view, and volume than the color of the skirt.

I really wanted to know what the advantage of a black mask skirt is over a basic clear one. But thanks for the info.

The black skirt is supposed to reduce the ambient light and give you the ability to focus. If you do a lot of underwater photography you might like this type of mask better. The clear skirt is supposed to let more light in and give you some pripheral vision (not that much in my experience).

I like having peripheral vision even if imperfectly. I can see shadows and movement through a clear skirt. I switched to black skirt because the mask that fit me best only came in black. It was then that I realized how much glare (internal reflections) I had been getting with the clear skirt, mostly in clear shallow water (bright). With the black skirt my view was significantly clearer due to lack of glare. Probably less noticeable at depth or dimmer conditions though being hit from side w/ dive light would probably do a number on you. I do miss the peripheral "awareness". I want it all! Maybe an antiglare finish on the inside? (Bet that would be a fog machine…) You will have to determine by experimentation I’m afraid. Different type dives may call for different masks.

Otobmark is right about this. I had a clear skirt and tried a black skirt and this is true.
Plus the black looks cool lol. But the main thins is comfort and fit.
As far as the peripheral vision i have the cressi with the side windows which takes care of that problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom