Mask repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xrcjdx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm using a dive rite es 145 frameless mask, which is no longer made. It's the only mask I've ever owned that fits properly. The rubber skirt is separating from the glass at the top, and I was forced to blindly abort my last dive. I've tried several other masks but can't find a frameless fit.

Question: can this mask be repaired? My thought is gorilla glue, which I think will bond rubber to glass. Any repair suggestions or experience out there?

R

Actually my post was very helpful. It doesn't take more than 2 words to explain that there is no point in trying to repair an old broken mask. The repair won't hold, you're going to ruin a dive or more, possibly an entire trip because you're trying to patch up an old mask whereas you can buy a much better, newer, more flexible and better designed mask for well under a hundred bucks. You might have some trouble finding a mask that fits you well but unless you're seriously disfigured or you've got a REALLY unusually shaped face, there's masks out there for you.

@xrcjdx

Have you tried to find one online on eBay or any of the various scuba gear sale groups on FB?

I'm using a dive rite es 145 frameless mask, which is no longer made. It's the only mask I've ever owned that fits properly. The rubber skirt is separating from the glass at the top, and I was forced to blindly abort my last dive. I've tried several other masks but can't find a frameless fit.

Question: can this mask be repaired? My thought is gorilla glue, which I think will bond rubber to glass. Any repair suggestions or experience out there?

R

If gorilla glue really worked you'd see more gorilla's diving...just sayin'. :)

Gorilla glue is pretty much inflexible, not meant to move with rubber even if it bonds to it. I'd try something more like AquaSeal or one of the other urethan specialty adhesives that remains flexible after it sets up. The problem is your "rubber" mask may be any one of several elastomers, not necessarily rubber, and adhesives can be picky about bonding. Probably best to try bonding something with a spot of adhesive on the mask strap or other area where you can flex it and see if the adhesive holds, or peels off. And when you find one that works, make sure the glass and "rubber" are both surgically clean in the area you want to rebond.

Don't bother

I think caruso is trying to save you a lot of hassle and disappointment. Call DiveRite, they might be able to tell you if one of their current masks fits the same.

The Dive Rite ES 155 looks very similar (but, admittedly, not identical) to the 145. And the Dive Gear Express DGX Ultra View looks identical to the ES 155.

The DGX mask is $29 and you can return it if you don't like it. Even if you have dived it. I got one recently and it is a really nice mask. Of course, it has to fit you to be a nice mask for you.

DGX Ultra View Frameless Mask

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom