Mask Quandry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My face is small and narrow so I need a small mask BUT, I need a high volume mask (I know--no one wants that). The reason is that I have a complicated prescription: bifocals and prisms. If the mask is low volume and the lenses are bonded, they hurt my eye because the lenses are so thick from the prisms that they actually touch my face. I tried it in Cozumel on an easy but long dive, 70 minutes. I was in such torture that I was nauseous from the pain and I had a bruise under my eyebrow for almost a week.

I have been wearing successfully a SeaVision Shadow mask but that is no longer made. I tried the AquaLung Micromask on the mask-from-hell dive.

Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.

TUSA Mini Kilo. It is kind of deep, yet the skirt is made for smaller faces.

Also, do not tighten the mask strap when you put the mask on. It should only be snug enough to hold the mask on when you are on the surface. The pressure of the water when you are diving will hold it to your face.

Have you considered contacts?

I ask because I use to dive with contacts. I paid for Lasik surgery and I no longer need corrective lenses.

I have astimatism and have a bit of trouble with the close up stuff (manufacturers are purposefully shrinking the size of the numbers on computers just to p*** me off I'm sure :D). My answer was wearing only one contact for distance and astigmatism correction. the other eye sans contact reads the close up stuff great. This has been such a great find for me on scuba that I now do this every day. It is amazing how the brain comensates. I cannot really tell that I am weqaring only one contact. Vision is still sharp unless I close the eye with the contact. The added bonus is that you can wear and enjoy many more masks.

Thank you for trying to help me. The reason I have prisms is that I have double vision; i.e., my eyes do not focus correctly together. That's why I cannot wear contacts. I looked at the Tusa Micro, but I need completely separate lenses on the mask.
I wear children's size glasses to give you an idea. I do not overtighten my mask straps, but that's an important thing to know.
I worry that I don't have a back up mask.

Have you tried the Akona Lucia? or Genesis SL. The Genesis SL may be a little bit too wide, but I've found that it fits a wide range of faces. By the way, although my Seavision mask is 10 years old, when I was diving corrective lenses I found that I could switch the Seavision lenses to the Genesis SL.

Did you look at the Atomic frameless, size medium? It is designed for narrow faces, but I'm not sure if the volume would be enough for you. Worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom