Mask problems with previously good fitting mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkedro

Reaction score
I spent last week diving in Belize and was having problems with my mask(s). No matter what I tried it would leak and I would have to clear every two minutes or be forced to look only horizontally.

I haven't been diving for several years and was using my old Mare 6 window mask. When I used to dive with it I would never get any leakage and it fit perfectly.

I tried everything - cleaning, new strap, strap postion, etc. - but to no avail. I would seem to get a great seal (I would even get it to seal until it hurt) but it still leaked.

I thought maybe the mask had somehow degraded but I tried my wife's mask (identical) and it also leaked. Seems highly unlikely they would both go bad, although they are old.

Any ideas? Highly frustrated. I don't want to get a new mask because mine used to fit so well.

Thanks

it is possible the leak is around the face-plate(s).

it is possible there is a slight 'split' in the skirt
visible only under close inspection.

if the skirt is rubber it might have dried sufficiently
to be a bit too stiff for a good seal.

it is possible that over the years as your face changed
(thinner, fatter, mustache, no mustache, etc) the fit is
not so good for a seal.

it does not take much of a breach in a seal for water to
find its way in.

take it to a shop and have them check it out.

If it is a Mares Esa mask (6 window) they are prone to stress crack around the frames of the bottom windows. This could be cause by bad packing, heat, or (from what I've seen) just general diving. I'm not saying this is a bad mask...but we have had more people turn them in for manufacturer defect because of this.

Of course, everyone who has ones says "it is the BEST mask...when I can see with it!"..and then they buy another one! Go figure!

Yes, it is the Mares ESA (mine is about 5 years old). Your explanation makes sense given the mask used to fit perfectly.

Is there anything I can do to verify if this is the problem and if so fix it? I would even pay a fairly considerable amount since I like the mask so much.

I know what you mean here. I have an Oceanic mask which I bought years ago which fits beautifully and has never leaked (except when I had that awful goatee) and I have never found one similar to have as a spare. I don't put it in a mask case, it justs kicks around in my bag. I should take more care of it really! Good luck if you try a repair, I personally wouldn't attempt it.

The ESA that I wore, I thought was better thatn sliced bread. but when it wouldn't stop leaking I almost quit diving, and went back to fishing full time.
I suggest picking up an alternative mask and get use to it because sooner or later that ESA will leak and ruin a dive.
I use the Ocean master 4 window and when my son isn't with me an TUSA hyperdry. together cost about the same as an ESA.

Stay wet

Love the mask. Can't afford to replace it every year or two when it starts leaking around all the six lenses though. After the second one, I gave up.
Rick

I have read online somewhere about Mares replacing Esa's with this problem. I can't remember where. You could try asking Mares for suggestions. Their e-mail is.
tech@maresscuba.com

Good Luck,
Tavi

I know that Mares does consider the stress cracks a manufacter defect, and replaces the masks for our customers (the repair shop confirm that this is the problem, and the shop replaces the mask from their stock, and Mares sends the shop a new one). Although, with the mask being 5 years old I don't know if that will apply. The best thing I can suggest is take it to your shop's repair department (better if you don't tell them you've had it for 5 years! :)) If they carry Mares, they are probably used to seeing this problem.

Or...as suggested before...find another mask! This will solve the problem for good!

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom