Mask leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwaver

Registered
Reaction score
I have a problem with my laugh lines/creases. My Mares ESA and Dacor Integra QL leak to the point of distraction on a dive. I know now, that I should try on a variety of masks w/reg in . My LDS has a few brands and other shops have thier own assortment that they carry. I would like too know if there are any masks that may have larger silicon skirts. Or am I going about this wrong? Thanks for any suggestions

You could try to smooth out the laugh lines after you put the mask on. This is what my old manager used to do, and that worked for her, but her mask still leaked a little if she started to smile underwater (which was pretty frequent). Or, if the water inside the mask really bothers you, try a purge mask. They come in different styles..one lens with the purge under the frame, and two lens (or one) with the purge attached to the bottom of the nose piece. Both work, just make sure they are comfortable for you.

Do these masks really fit you properly? Even with laughter lines the water pressure should make sure that the mask seals if it fits properly in the first place. I started off with a mask that I thought fitted but which leaked a lot unless I got it placed precisely in the right place. After a while I realised with some input from my Instructor that the mask was just too small. I got a larger mask and problem solved.

One other thing you can do, assuming the mask fits properly, is to lightly coat the inside of your mask skirt with silicone. This will help seal it.

Originally posted by cwaver
I know now, that I should try on a variety of masks w/reg in . My LDS has a few brands and other shops have thier own assortment that they carry.
Take it with you and go mask shopping...
And there is always ebay for the other masks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom