Mask leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easyrider003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This past weekend while at Vortex I had trouble to entire time with the mask leaking. Both from the top and the bottom. That was the first time that I have ever had any trouble out of the mask. I bought it about 6 years ago. It is leaking around the skirt. I am guessing that it is just not getting a good seal. I havent noticed that the skirt has any type of crack in it. It doesn't appear to be dry rotted. My face has fattened up just a tad,LOL, maybe thats what is causing it. Just wondering if anyone could tell me what might be causing it to leak. And one last thing, would you recommend me buying the mask from the LDS or ordering it online if it would be cheaper. I would just think that the mask would be something I would have to try on.

Thanks,
Michael

i live near dallas, so scubatoys IS my LDS; cant help you there.

I have the same problem with masks. I use mask sealant; works like a charm. face shape, wrinkles, moving your facial muscles, can all cause the mask seal to leak and flood your mask.

as for the leak, if the skirt seems to be in good shape check then lenses. I once had a mask that seemed to have the same problem, but I realized after looking at it closely, I found that the right lens had loosened up and would intermittently leak.

As for trying new mask, I would never buy a new mask w/o trying it on. even if you are not a loyal LDS customer, this is a great thing to get at your LDS. Personnally I have a preference for Mares X-vision the Demon. the X-vision is my normal mask, but that's just because I have been using it longer. I found both of them fit my (fairly large) face very well.

Masks are very personal items and perhaps one of the most important pieces of equipment, as you discovered when a mask leaks etc it can ruin the dive...I agree with meesier42 you should always try a mask on first to ensure a proper fit/seal. If you are concerned about cost you could always go to some stores try some masks on and when you find one that fits then look for it on the internet, Im not nec recommending this as it is a little cheeky and where possible and practical I think (providing they are a good/honest/reasonable LDS) its best to support your local LDS. Goodluck...

The first thing that I would try is some silicon lube around the skirt. Also, adjust the strap, if the strap is too tight that can cause a mask to leak. The strap can distort the face/skirt seal. When you are underwater, water pressure holds your mask on you face, not the strap.

If you need a new mask, the one I use goes for $80 at my LDS and $40 on the web. Personally, I would feel pretty bad about trying on a mask and then getting it elsewhere to save $40 when my LDS is there for me everyday.

BTW, find a mask that really fits you, get two of them. Your mask is the ONLY reason you can enjoy scuba and that makes it your most important piece of gear. Just like a good pair of running shoes, go with what works for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom