Mask Frames Cracking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netwurk13

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out a problem I'm having. A few weeks ago I was cleaning my wife's scubapro fino mask and I noticed the frame, where the inner frame snaps into the outer frame, was cracked in two of the snap points. The mask was bought 6 months ago. I got my LDS to swap the mask.

Today, I noticed my Mares X-Vision mask was cracked at the outer frame in ALL of the points where the inner frame snaps to the outer frame. I bought both masks at the same time.

Now, keep in mind that I am extremely "anal" about my gear. I don't let the gear drop and it takes me an hour after every trip to flush all of my gear with fresh water. The x-vision has less than 30 dives on it. The scubapro had 4 dives on it.

After cleaning all of my gear after each trip I usually leave it all out to air dry inside of my garage with a fan pointing at it. The following day I store all of my gear inside of my gear bag. I keep all of my gear in the garage, which isn't abnormally hot.

Any ideas why this could be happening?

It's not your fault and is not something you can prevent - it is a defect in the plastic and should be covered under warranty.

Sounds strange. Two different masks from different manafacturers. Did you buy them from the same shop? Just trying to find a common denominator other than you. Sounds like your shop is taking care of you at least. I would take the Mares back too. Perhaps the problem is with the LDS.

You said you stored your gear in the garage...I don't know what part of the country you are from but I live in Texas and I would never store my gear in the garage it can get very hot in there and the heat can make the plastic brittle over time.....I always store all my gear in the house in a closet except for tanks.....it does sound strange both of them cracking but you may want store at least your masks in the house where the temp stays about the same all year....IMO

They are from different dive shops. I just exchanged the Mares X-Vision this morning and the LDS exchanged it without a problem. However, I'm worried that this will continue to happen. I live in Miami, FL and I know plenty of people that keep their gear in the garage. I realize it's probably a hotter temperature than ideal, but I find it odd that the plastic got this brittle in under a year. I currently have it inside the house, but I really have no place to put this stuff in the house.

Back
Top Bottom