Mask fits- No dive shop near location and have small face with prominant brow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
There is only one tiny dive shop in my area for about 250 miles and they specialize in certifying and not selling equipment so their mask selection includes about 5 masks. I have a small face-I used a child's mask on my last dive when I rented all the equipment, but I also have a fairly prominent brow. Even though a child's mask seals properly, I can only handle about 2 hours of diving before the space between my eyebrows starts hurting beyond tolerance. Even larger masks usually cause pain but then I struggle with keeping a good seal. I would love to get into diving more but because I have to travel significantly to dive, a short 2 hour dive would not be worth the expense so I need to find a more comfortable mask. Any suggestions?

I have a similar face, I think. Your mask has to be a single window for sure and also a smaller size. I have always had a hard time finding a great fitting mask as well. I have settled on an Atomic single lens frameless, mid size, there are also other manufacturers who make single window mask in a smaller size, do a search to find some recommendations. Try one of the large internet sellers like Leisure pro who have a fit guarantee and order a couple of them and send them back if not right.

Since mask fit is highly dependent on the characteristics of your face, there probably isn't a good substitute for trying one on. But absent that, try the Oceanic Shadow or Mini Shadow. Some of the online retailers like Leisure Pro and Scuba.com have pretty good return policies, so that might be your best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I too have a child's face, small and narrow with an australopithecus robustus brow. I spent hundreds of dollars on masks that fitted well in shops but leaked terribly in the water. I finally came across an Atomic Aquatics Frameless in a Medium fit, it fits perfectly. Had it for around 6 years zero issues. I was scared they'd stop making it so bought another as a spare. Good luck.

Penguine...

3 words for ya that may..handle the issue.... "Tusa Visio Pro"...feel free to call me at the shop Fridays til 7pm or sundays 10-5. 608-219-5075. Madison scuba..

Kurt

There is only one tiny dive shop in my area for about 250 miles and they specialize in certifying and not selling equipment so their mask selection includes about 5 masks. I have a small face-I used a child's mask on my last dive when I rented all the equipment, but I also have a fairly prominent brow. Even though a child's mask seals properly, I can only handle about 2 hours of diving before the space between my eyebrows starts hurting beyond tolerance. Even larger masks usually cause pain but then I struggle with keeping a good seal. I would love to get into diving more but because I have to travel significantly to dive, a short 2 hour dive would not be worth the expense so I need to find a more comfortable mask. Any suggestions?

We would like to suggest that you try the MAKO Spearguns "mini" mask. We have had extremely good response from our customers on this mask since introducing it about 10 months ago. It fits a huge variety of faces and has incredibly good visibility because the faceplate is positioned close to your eyes. the low volume is a benefit to freedivers, and has no drawbacks for scuba divers.

Try it, love it or we will accept a return...Simple as that.

We sell all our gear on-line with no domestic retail stores (other than our warehouse/display facility)in Virginia. Don't think this is a low quality mask, simply because it costs significantly less than other quality masks from elsewhere.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Minimus-Mini-Freedive-Mask-p/mmm.htm

MMM-2.jpg

Attachments

• MMM-2.jpg
    MMM-2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 44
  • MMM-2.jpg
    MMM-2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 34
Since mask fit is highly dependent on the characteristics of your face, there probably isn't a good substitute for trying one on. But absent that, try the Oceanic Shadow or Mini Shadow. Some of the online retailers like Leisure Pro and Scuba.com have pretty good return policies, so that might be your best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Agreed! Most of our small faced customers love the fit and feel of the oceanic mini shadow - about half of our instructors use them too. An excellent mask choice in our opinion.

Good luck :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom