Mask clearing skill upsidedown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Siltout-queen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Good day everyone!
I'm currently trying to learn the mask clearing skill upsidedown (feet looking up, head looking down).
Sadly I get so much water through my nose that this skill is impossible for me (or at least it feels like that).
Any recommendations or tips on how to master this skill?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Also: I want tips on how to do master this skill, nothing more. So please don't turn this thread into a discussion about if this skill makes any sense or not

this skill doesnt make any sense at all- go back a step - why does water get in your mask -maybe address that first

Just out of curiosity- why perform it upside down?
Does the mask work well, except when you try an ”upside down skill”?
Do you have any problems with the mask normally? Do you have any problems clearing or replacing the mask in ”normal“ position?

Also: I want tips on how to do master this skill, nothing more.

It is not unusual for me to be in a head-down position. It is a useful skill to be able to clear the mask in any position and it adds to your self confidence. My instructor had us start clearing in the head-up position and we slowly progressed to side clearing and finally to head-down clearing.

Take time to think about where gravity is taking the water in your mask, where it will exit, and how to trap air at the high side. It will become instinctive, which is at least half the point of acquiring the skill. For Southern California divers at least, the other half of the reason is lobster hunting. It is also a useful skill for macro photographers.

As for water getting in your nose, try staying ahead of it (clearing more frequently). Can you manage being head down in a pool without a mask now?

Another thought is maybe your mask doesn't fit as well as it could?

I've never thought about the process of clearing my mask in any other orientations, going to add this to my skills list of things to practice. Seems like something I won't use often, but better to have the skill and not need it than the other way around in my opinion. Following this thread for sure :)

this skill doesnt make any sense at all- go back a step - why does water get in your mask -maybe address that first
It's a cave diving skill, it does make sense. It consists our of taking your mask off and putting it back on + clearing it, so I guess that's why there's water inside...

Just out of curiosity- why perform it upside down?
Does the mask work well, except when you try an ”upside down skill”?
Do you have any problems with the mask normally? Do you have any problems clearing or replacing the mask in ”normal“ position?
It's a skill for cave diving, maybe not one you'll constantly use but sure one that saves you a lot of hassle when you actually need it in real life and also it's fun.
No my mask is great and no, I definitely have no problem with the classic mask skill

It is not unusual for me to be in a head-down position. It is a useful skill to be able to clear the mask in any position and it adds to your self confidence. My instructor had us start clearing in the head-up position and we slowly progressed to side clearing and finally to head-down clearing.

Take time to think about where gravity is taking the water in your mask, where it will exit, and how to trap air at the high side. It will become instinctive, which is at least half the point of acquiring the skill. For Southern California divers at least, the other half of the reason is lobster hunting. It is also a useful skill for macro photographers.

As for water getting in your nose, try staying ahead of it (clearing more frequently). Can you manage being head down in a pool without a mask now?

Another thought is maybe your mask doesn't fit as well as it could?
The skill consists out of taking my mask off and putting it back on + clearing it, so I can't really stay ahead of it filling up completely
Mask is fine

I've never thought about the process of clearing my mask in any other orientations, going to add this to my skills list of things to practice. Seems like something I won't use often, but better to have the skill and not need it than the other way around in my opinion. Following this thread for sure :)
Absolutely right, it comes from cave diving. Imagine diving down head first (in order to not ruin your visibility by diving fins down first) a narrow hole where you can't turn around and accidentally getting your mask lifted or taken off by a close rock formation. It's not gonna happen too often but it is a real possibility, so I want to master that skill in order to be prepared for another possible situation.
Most of fatal dive accidents are a collection of minor mistakes or lacks of skills that add up to a tragedy, so it never hurts to train all sorts of skills.
But while diving in a lake or sea you probably won't ever need that skill

Once you get used to diving in a head down without the mask, clearing it is easy. Practice in a pool or confined water. 10 feet will do you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom