Mask Buckle Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Recently I purchased the TUSA Paragon mask. Last night during some pool training the buckle became dislodged and mask fell to pool floor.

Although it presented no risk to me in the pool, it would have been a bit more challenging diving on the coast. Or even in the lake I'll be diving in late July.

Buckle piece never turned up and there is one on order.

Now I'm tempted to use a permanent adhesive of some kind to make those parts permanent on both sides. Remove the buckle as a "weak link" in overall equipment safety.

I don't plan on ever selling the mask so it would be an alteration I personally could live with.

What say you?

If you can’t modify it by removing the buckle as you say, and have %100 faith in it I would bin it. Sounds like a poor design and not something I would risk missing a dive/s over. A photo would help.

It's actually my favorite mask after months of searching. And yes TUSA has been notified of the failure so they may address the issue.

I believe the buckle is made of ABS plastic. So the idea is to carefully apply black waterproof epoxy to the joining area of the outer most part of the buckle. This shouldn't allow it to ever come loose.

Edit: actually an ABS plastic cement/weld would be needed. ABS plastic does not readily bond with most epoxies. If it is in fact ABS plastic. An unknown part of the solution.

And it wouldn't look any different than a new in box mask. Just one that has a permanent buckle that no longer disassembles. It's the piece touching the frame and not the oval part.

And a stock pic.

0.jpg

Last edited:
A mask buckle often represents a potential failure point. Even if it is designed and built well, when it is attached to the outside edge of a rigid mask frame, it is going to be subject to damage from accidental abuse like dropping the mask etc. In some designs, the buckle will take the brunt of the force because it protrudes from the frame.

Our most popular dive mask, eliminates this potential problem to a large degree. We don't eliminate the adjustable buckle, but instead, we move the attachment point from a frame to the mask skirt. The buckle is no longer in a vulnerable position.

If the mask strap is not attached to a rigid exterior frame, then the frame can be much smaller, This reduces the size and weight of the mask.

The MAKO Minimus mask is designed such that the mask buckle is attached to a tab on the silicon skirt itself. This is a very robust attachment point, but it also allows the skirt and buckle attachment to flex inward and effectively prevent damage.

It also has the added benefit of allowing the mask to be folded flat for placement in a pocket for use as a back up mask.

We are starting to see this method of construction more commonly on high quality masks. Possibly something to consider when purchasing a new mask?

Minimus Mini Freedive Mask | MAKO Spearguns

mmm-side-view_dtl.jpg

mmm-buckle-mount_dtl.jpg

MMM-2T.jpg

Yeah, looks like a great mask. Eventually I'll need a compact backup mask and that's one I'll consider. The fit of the Paragon for me personally is amazing on my face. And I liked the lens shape and material.

The frame of the Paragon is "muscular". So I will be assuring that the buckle doesn't become an issue. The buckle will not be coming off again.

Back
Top Bottom