Mask brands for a Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kattymac

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I recently was certified and want to buy my own mask. As a newbie I don't know which brands are better than others. I understand fit is important but I would like opinions on mask brands. I would like a low-volume mask for easy clearance. Thanks!

The simple fact is that except for a few smaller lines all masks are made by a handful of manufacturers. Same with snorkels. I have a scubamax panoramic that is the same mask sold by several other lines. The difference? A logo and an increased price. Brand is pretty immaterial. fit and comfort are everything. A soft skirt, tempered lens, and good fit are the things to look for. Go to your local shop and try on as many as you can. Do not look at brand or price. Ask to try them in a pool if one is available. Buy based on that.

The one that fits!
Everyone's face is a different shape so it's impossible to say which make or model is the "best".
Go to shop with as many brands as possible, start at the cheapest and work your way up, trying each one.
The shop should be able to help you but the standard way to check is to place the mask on your face without the strap,breath in slightly from your nose and it should stay stuck there, if not try the next, until you find one that does stick. (It's probably also a good idea to bring a snorkel or borrow a reg as holding one in your mouth changes the shape of your face).

Once you find one (or a few) that fits then check it doesn't pinch your nose anywhere, when you find the best one then take THAT one, not the same make/model from stock BUT THAT one to the till.
Masks are one of the few things that it makes no sense to buy on line.

...noticed your from Spain, so brand recommendations from a largely US based scuba forum may not be that helpful. Some of us (like me) can pretty much wear any mask and be fine, others quit diving altogether because they never found the right mask. You will need to try them on in person with whatever brands you can see in person in Spain, and if you're wise, you will get into a pool with full scuba gear on and dive it in a pool with reg in mouth to see if the mask is REALLY ok. For what it's worth, I like the Atomic Aquatics and Apollo Bio masks and feel there's a very good chance either of these would work for you.

Dive Rite "Stowaway", black, low volume, good quality, $50. See "dive gear express" on internet. I have used this mask for my primary for years.

Thanks for the fast replies!

I guess I'm off to search for dive shops near me to try on some masks!

Back
Top Bottom