Mary'sPlace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
Is Mary's Place back in play as a dive site?
Is there a West End or West Bay dive operator that commonly includes Mary's place as a destination?
I've been to Roatan three times, and when I go again in October I'd like to dive Mary's place. I don't want to take a taxi half way around the island, but would be willing to take the long boat ride from my base in West End or from West Bay. Does anyone have any experience of diving M'sP from the west side?

I dove Mary's Place in March. We went from West End but it was because of bad weather on the North Side. Many dive shops took their boats to the south side for the week.

Thanks.
I also like reef fish. It isn't often we can see wild animals go about their business close up.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I usually dive with Native Sons, but as I dive in the low season Mary's place never came up. This year I'll ask them, but I now also may have alternatives.
If I do get to go to MP is there another good site along the way for a second dive?

Mary's Place has not been "out of play" anytime recently. I have never heard of the marine park closing a site here. Most shops from West Bay and West End do not go there unless specifically asked to or the weather forces them to the south side. Also most will charge extra for the trip for gas.

There are lots of good dive sites on the way to and from Mary's Place. If you go to the marine parks website I think they have a map listing all the named sites that have mooring balls. One of my favorites is Lita's Hole.

If I do get to go to MP is there another good site along the way for a second dive?
Texas was on our best dives we did list. You'll go right past it.
Texas: Located at the western point of the island, Texas provides awesome currents to sail through covering expansive ground. Giant barrel sponges and lots of soft coral growth make this dive site unique for this part of the island. This is also a promising location to spot some larger life as they, too, take advantage of converging currents from the north and south shores. Keep an eye out for hammerheads as they are sometimes spotted cruising through Texas.

If you are going to do a Twofer from the West End I would recommend Cemetery Wall as my first choice. Lita's hole is on the way from the West End too that is fun, but when we have been there it hasn't had as much fish life. I always enjoy Mr. Buds too but its a popular on that side of the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom