Marsh Harbour questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I will be in Marsh Harbour for several days after a week on Andros. I will be spending a lot of those few days diving, but my wife is a non-diver. She loves to snorkel, but she will have had lots of opportunities in Andros, so I am not sure how it important it will be for her by then. We have never been to the Bahamas at all, and I have several questions.

1. We are looking at a couple of places to stay, one in town and one a couple miles outside of town. We would prefer not to rent a car. How important is that in our planning? Are taxis (or something else) readily available if she wants to go into town from the out of town location? Would we be better off staying in town? Renting a car?

2. What are the potential diversions for a non-diver whose husband is under water most of a day? If we choose the out of town location, we will be right on a beach, but I don't think sitting in the sand will hold her attention all that long.

3. Is there a place I can go to find restaurant recommendations?

All the diving has been planned, so I don't need any advice with that.

Try abacoforum.com. You'll definitely get some answers there. They will tell you to stay on one of the outer cays instead of Marsh Harbour but it sounds like you've got everything planned already. We stayed on Great Guana Cay in May and went out snorkeling with Dive Guana twice. Troy Albury is a super nice guy and extremely knowledgeable. Taxis can get expensive. The marina area of Marsh Harbour is nice with a few shops and restaurants. If your are flexible have a look at Hopetown on Elbow Cay. There are alot more places to walk to. Even if you stay in Marsh Harbour, she can take the ferry to one of the cays for a day. Guana is walkable, many people do the Sunday pig roast at Nippers that come from other cays.

And please post about your Andros experience. We didn't get to dive when we were there last year (Fresh Creek area).

We wintered at the Conch Inn and Marina a few years ago when we were cruising the Abacos. It is walking distance to the shopping and a short taxi ride from the airport. Most of the eating establishmemts are in the harbor area and an easy walk. It is also the Ferry dock making it easy to see the other Cays. She should definitely make a day trip to Hopetown.

I did my initial checkout with Dive Abaco while we were there. If you are diving with them, they are a good operation. Keith Rogers really knows the reefs.

Back
Top Bottom