Marsa Alam or Sharm El Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Polar_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am currently planning my Fall 2011 scuba vacation.

Would really like to go to Egypt and do both diving and site seeing. As wife is prone to getting sea sick, we would rather chose a land base package than a live abord. I am a DM and wife is advance diver.

As we won't get there every year ($$$), I was wondering which of Marsa Alam or Sharm El Sehikh would be the best option.

Neither Marsa Alam not Sharm offer any substantial sightseeing (e.g. antiquities) unless you are willing to jump on a plane or take an 8 hour bus trip.

From Sharm you can visit places like Mount Sinai, the St. Catherine monastery and the Couloured Canyon as a day trip. Sharm itself has evolved into the Las Vegas of the Red Sea. The diving is still good, though.

I went to sharm and stayed at the Renissance, It was a good trip but the diving was really expensive. CamelDive is okay but not as nice.

Marsa Alam is usually a stop for me to kill nofly time. Its not as nice as Sharm and its more Russian.

I would recommend Sharm.

For the site seeing part, I plan to spend couple of days in Cairo on my way in and out of Egypt. Total vacation would be 14 days of which 9-10 would be dedicated to scuba.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that part...

Where do you come from mate? It would help if I know which nationality you are...
Check out WELCOME TO AZIAB for info on Egyptian Main Land Check with Asser for Sinai Side.

Tartullian:
What do you do to kill no fly time in Marsa Alam?
Where did you find Russians in Marsa Alam?

...a...

Hi I just got back from Sharm with my hubby and daughter. We stayed at the Renaissance hotel as we did last year too. Very nice. We dived with Sharm scuba service. Top people! Had such a good time! After talking to a few of the instructors who work in the area and have done for many years apparently camel isn't as great as it once was. Just what I heard. Andrea is one of the people in charge at Sharm scuba service and he organised the whole deal for us. Flights, Hotel and Dive packet. The dives were lovely, didn't see as many big fish as last year, but sites such as shark and yolanda and wreck dunraven were great. No hammerheads were seen off jackson as it was too windy to get there, but we were told that they're still around. As for the hotel, the food is Brilliant! Staff very helpful and friendly. Water temp was around 29-29 degrees and vis was good.

Back
Top Bottom