Marking Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After seeing a lot of these responses I have another question.

Aren't you really marking your gear mainly to identify it at the dive site?

No matter what you use to mark it, if someone steals it, they'll remove the mark. And they'd have to be a huge idiot to return to the same dive site right away.

Even if you engrave it as some people suggest. It can just be scratched out and re-engraved. You really can't prove what it used to say. Besides marking like that may make it harder to resell.

Isn't just keeping a log of all your serial numbers a better idea?

grunzster once bubbled...
Isn't just keeping a log of all your serial numbers a better idea?

Not all gear has serial numbers.

Aren't you really marking your gear mainly to identify it at the dive site?
Most of the people I dive with have gear that is almost identical to mine and it tends to get confusing on a crowded boat.

I only mark my initials and I use either a sharpie, paint marker, or white out depending on the surface.

It must be relly hard to keep track of your gear if you go diving with a bunch of DIR guys, what strategies do you use when everything is identical?:)

Rice once bubbled...
It must be relly hard to keep track of your gear if you go diving with a bunch of DIR guys, what strategies do you use when everything is identical?:)
Fins have initials on them (those are easy to mix up)...bps/wings also have initials or last name on them. Tanks look different enough and the small stuff usually has initials or everybody knows what is theirs somehow. The hardest are fins without markings since 8 pairs of jetfins that were thrown from the transom into a pile on the boat can be difficult to sort out if they all have the same spring straps.

Then again, if everything is interchangeable and my gas is your gas, etc. I guess we could just grab whatever and jump in :wink:

Does anyone know where the serial numbers are located on a BC? I know i have one because it's listed on my scubapro card but I have no idea where it is.

Being in the Military I found it quick and easy to sew on the name tapes that we use off our uniforms. They are cheep, and never wear off. You can get them many of ways. www.nametapes.com is a simple way. One name tape which is 1" webing, is $2.50, with a min. order of 3. And you can order them to say anything that you would like. I have never seen them with numbers on them, but I don't see why they couldn't. It's just a computer program. I would suggust using any branch of the service except the Marines. Our new camies are ditigal and pretty hard to read even from a close distance. The A.R.M.Y. 's (Aint Ready for Marines Yet) should hook you up though.

I use my e-mail address. It is the same as my (real) name and it is more permanent than my street address or phone number (I own the domain name). All the people I dive with have e-mail, so if they find something of mine, they can get in touch.

I figure if someone steals my stuff, I'm not likely to see it again, no matter how it is marked, but if I leave something on a dive boat, there's a reasonable chance that someone will return it, if they can contact me. People are pretty honest around here.

Zept

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom