Marking a Compass Heading - Suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFRedrocks

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On the Petrel 2, I know you can mark the compass heading via the left button, tapping until "Mark Compass" appears, and then tapping the right button to place the "mark." However, you cannot see the actual heading on the compass when marking it (you have to do it "blindly" by holding your position). While this may be a minor thing, I was curious if there was any way (or any plans in the future) to make it such that the compass is visible when marked, and therefore allowing the mark to be associated with a specific (degree) heading? I would think something as simple as having "Mark Compass" take you to the compass screen, and then tapping the right button marks the compass while it's visible would do the trick.

Thanks for listening to this suggestion and for producing such an awesome computer!

I agree with this idea. When the compass is displayed, one push should set the bearing without any need to dive into the menu or lose the compass display. My thought, FWIW, is that when the compass is up, the default function of the "select" (right) button should be "set bearing" with a single click. A fast double click (ie two within one second) would take you into the standard progression of the other info screens.

Also, longer term upgrade, when a bearing is set, the compass should also show marks for 90 degrees (a square) and 120 degrees (a triangle) either side of the bearing. This would be very useful for square or triangular nav patterns.

OK, another take on this for your consideration.

If you want to do nav, use an indirect reading slate-mounted compass for accuracy. The Petrel 2 offers a simple brain-dead stupid compass. I love it! Works peaches at any angle until it flips. How do they do that? Don't mess with it, truly a case of KISS.

My only suggestion would be to make the cardinal directions Big. N, E, S, W.

I agree the compass display is very well done, but I don't think the extra marks would add any complexity. I carry a big camera and don't want to carry a separate compass/slate. My current computer displays the 90 and 120 marks automatically every time you set/reset a bearing, and they do not affect the compass display or simplicity of use in any way. But, that simple thing makes nav a lot easier. Very handy when doing "loose" nav to cover a reef from an anchored boat and return to the up line, or navigating a muck dive site from the beach and getting back to your entry point. This is a real, practical benefit. Like I said no urgency to this but it would be nice in the future if Shearwater re-visits the compass features. Nothing wrong with a wish list . . .

Your suggestion about the cardinal directions is not bad, either.

Yeah, in truth, the marks wouldn't bother me.

You nailed it with "Loose Nav". Exactly that, my "Go Home" underwater GPS... Really, who does or needs precision U/W nav?

Agreed, although I know Shearwater likes to avoid "double-clicks" in their menu system (the manual even makes a joke about this), which is why one right tap to the compass, and one right tap to mark it would work. Any additional taps after marking would take you through the normal info screen progression, consistent with their "one tap" menu system.

I do like the idea of the "one push bearing setting" though which was my point all along...just would really like it to be when the compass is displayed so I can see what I'm marking. Even for "loose" nav (which I use almost exclusively UW), it would still be (IMHO) a useful addition to the compass features.

Hi,

Thank you all for the suggestions on the compass display. I think there are some good ideas here that shouldn't be too hard to add.

The compass is a relatively new feature for us, and we always planned to add updates based on user feedback. So these ideas are definitely appreciated.

The most complex is marking heading with a single button press. I agree that this would be a nice ideal for when using the compass. The problem is that it breaks the normal operation rules of the device, and this makes the user interface more complex and confusing. In all other situations,

• The right button steps through the "info screens" on the bottom row (and the left button exits back to the main screen). The compass is just one of these info screens.
  • or
  • The left button steps through menu options (which are then selected by the right button)

Adding a new rule that only applies to this screen makes the user interface just a bit more surprising and inconsistent. The user now needs to remember that the controls are different here than everywhere else. Not a problem for the power user, but confusing to someone who lightly uses this feature. Also, if the user encounters an exception here, then they may expect exceptions everywhere. One small deviation can break the user's trust in the simplicity of the user interface, and we don't want that. But, we'll keep listening because I am sure there is some great, simple solution we haven't thought of yet.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

...//... if the user encounters an exception here, then they may expect exceptions everywhere. One small deviation can break the user's trust in the simplicity of the user interface, and we don't want that. ...//...
I can't even begin to tell you how much I agree!

Finally, someone who understands the core basics of implementing an intuitive UI. I have three VR3's, a Giotto, a Uwatec SmartPro, and my fav, the Petrel 2. I simply can't find anything to whine about as far as how the Petrel 2 presents information to the user. That is no small feat.

The biggest power user, when overtasked, immediately reverts to a "light" user. Functionitis is the malady that kills every solid UI.

Hold the line, listen to suggestions, but hold the line...

Well done.

Hi,

Thank you all for the suggestions on the compass display. I think there are some good ideas here that shouldn't be too hard to add.

The compass is a relatively new feature for us, and we always planned to add updates based on user feedback. So these ideas are definitely appreciated.

The most complex is marking heading with a single button press. I agree that this would be a nice ideal for when using the compass. The problem is that it breaks the normal operation rules of the device, and this makes the user interface more complex and confusing. In all other situations,

• The right button steps through the "info screens" on the bottom row (and the left button exits back to the main screen). The compass is just one of these info screens.
  • or
  • The left button steps through menu options (which are then selected by the right button)

Adding a new rule that only applies to this screen makes the user interface just a bit more surprising and inconsistent. The user now needs to remember that the controls are different here than everywhere else. Not a problem for the power user, but confusing to someone who lightly uses this feature. Also, if the user encounters an exception here, then they may expect exceptions everywhere. One small deviation can break the user's trust in the simplicity of the user interface, and we don't want that. But, we'll keep listening because I am sure there is some great, simple solution we haven't thought of yet.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Thanks Tyler. I can completely understand your points, and I appreciate what you're saying with the consistency and simplicity of the user interface which obviously is an important feature in and of itself.

In the interest of your last sentence, and my hope for finding a simplistic way of adding this feature, I wanted to try this "solution": If there was a way to include the compass azimuth (value) in the "Mark Compass" menu option screen, then you could see the azimuth without having the computer change screens (which would be inconsistent with the UI as you said), and you wouldn't have to actually show the compass "info" screen at all to mark the correct azimuth. Maybe this could be done with a smaller font so it could fit in the one line Mark Compass menu option screen? I know the "live" azimuth is shown under the compass settings page (under system settings I believe), so if that same "live" azimuth (just the numerical value) could somehow be incorporated into the Mark Compass menu screen, then you could retain the single right button selection of the menu item; consistent with the rest of the UI, while still seeing what azimuth you are marking.

Just a thought... :D

Thanks Tyler. I can completely understand your points, and I appreciate what you're saying with the consistency and simplicity of the user interface which obviously is an important feature in and of itself.

In the interest of your last sentence, and my hope for finding a simplistic way of adding this feature, I wanted to try this "solution": If there was a way to include the compass azimuth (value) in the "Mark Compass" menu option screen, then you could see the azimuth without having the computer change screens (which would be inconsistent with the UI as you said), and you wouldn't have to actually show the compass "info" screen at all to mark the correct azimuth. Maybe this could be done with a smaller font so it could fit in the one line Mark Compass menu option screen? I know the "live" azimuth is shown under the compass settings page (under system settings I believe), so if that same "live" azimuth (just the numerical value) could somehow be incorporated into the Mark Compass menu screen, then you could retain the single right button selection of the menu item; consistent with the rest of the UI, while still seeing what azimuth you are marking.

Just a thought... :D

Hi BFRedrocks,

We are way ahead of you on this one :D A new release has already completed testing and is ready to go (Petrel firmware v29). Should be posted today or tomorrow.

It adds the numerical compass value to the "Mark Heading" menu option. See image.

View attachment Mark Compass.jpg

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom