Marker 9 off Venice Beach Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

needo2

New
Reaction score
Dove the Marker 9 off Venice Beach this weekend. It is supposed to be 5 army tanks, we only found one due to poor vis. The one we found was well worth it. In about 66.5 feet of water the tank is fully intact and has a great eco-system developing. Worth the trip...GPS is public knowledge I'll get them if anyone wants. 15 miles offshore.

I've heard about them, but never dove them before. What'd you see?

Also, welcome to the board.

ReefGuy:

Dove the tanks several years ago. Looking back in the log book, 2001. Time goes by too quick. Saw extremely large groupers, could go right up to them, six foot lemon shark, small nurse shark, many bait fish, one dive light, and numerous other interesting underwater items. Vis was good 20', water warm 80, during the first week in September. Dove with a fellow by the name of Max Schulz (Captain Schulz) of Englewood Divers. The other party booked did not show up, so it was just the two of us. One bad experience on that trip was a group of fisherman anchored nearby. We were greeted very badly. After we were submerged, we watched as they circled our boat at good speed. According to Max, they were trying to move the boat. Anyway, there was no way to identify the boat as it had no legal identification. Uncalled for, but you have to take the good with the bad sometimes.

ReefGuy:

Unfortunately, on the top of the water were numerous dead fish, including a Goliath grouper about 4' long. Once we hit hit about 40' the vis was a bit better. The Tank was loaded with smaller grouper and several reef fish. As a matter of fact, I've never seen so many barracuda in the gulf except the last time I was in the Keys. I suppose they were feeding on dead fish.. I assumed there would be a marker ball on the site; I assumed wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom