Marine Life - Turks or Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

discokat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Anyone been to both these places in recent years and can tell me which one has more abundance and variety of Marine Life?

Thanks!

just got back from Grand Turk. The wall was good but I still think Little Cayman is the best with Grand Turk being second. Here are two pics IMG_sm.JPGIMG_smaller.JPG

Cool!

Were there a lot of bugs while you were there?

Going back to West Palm Beach for my trip next month where I know I'll see a bunch of marine life, but I'll definitely keep them in mind for next year.

Thanks for the input and great shots!

I have been to Salt Cay and South Caicos. South Caicos is heavily fished but has very good pelagics - reef sharks, nurse sharks and many spotted eagle rays. Little Cayman beats them both. It has very approachable large grouper and turtles. I saw nurse sharks and reef sharks. My wife thinks that South Caicos is the best followed by Little Cayman than Grand Turk. I have not dived on Grand Turk.

I have been to Little Cayman, Grand Cayman, and Grand Turk. All were great and all rate as amoung the best places that I have dove in the Caribbean. Of the three, I'd rate Little Cayman first and probably Grand Turk second. Grand Cayman a little too touristy for me. Our next trip is to Cayman Brac so we'll see how that compares. Also plan to hit Provo, probably next year.

I have been to Little Cayman, Grand Cayman, and Grand Turk. All were great and all rate as amoung the best places that I have dove in the Caribbean. Of the three, I'd rate Little Cayman first and probably Grand Turk second. Grand Cayman a little too touristy for me. Our next trip is to Cayman Brac so we'll see how that compares. Also plan to hit Provo, probably next year.

The Cayman Islands was voted by Scuba Diving magazine #1 for Wall Diving #2 for Shore Diving (Grand Cayman) #3 Health of the Marine Environment for the Caribbean. In April 2011 NOAA voted the area in West Bay, Grand Cayman around Cobalt Coast Resort the Healthiest Reefs in all the Cayman Islands. Then there is the wreck diving, especially in Grand Cayman with the USS Kittiwake wreck in only 60' and 8' from the surface with 5 deck levels to explore. Awesome for divers and great for snorkeling.

In the Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman is the only island to offer shore diving and it being rated #2 in the Caribbean talks for itself. By going to Little Cayman or Brac you lose 1 - 2 days of your dive vacation to additional flying schedule.

Back
Top Bottom