Question Marine life risks while solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmingpooldivein

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!

I'm an SDI Solo Diver in NSW, Australia. Typically, my solo diving is at night, shore dive, max depth 7m, about 120min. As of recent, I'm starting to get concerned (maybe even slightly paranoid) about my increased risk of severe harm or death due to marine life (bites or stings) when diving alone. The notable large and/or venomous marine life in my area are wobbegong sharks, short-tail stingrays (aka smooth stingrays), grey nurse sharks, bull sharks (during summer and autumn), and blue-lined octopuses. In particular, wobbegong sharks and short-tail stingrays have surprised me with their presence several times underwater, and it's making me uncomfortable. My questions:
  1. Are the risks of severe harm or death due to marine life increased when diving alone, compared to diving with a buddy?
    1. I already confirmed that for buddy diving, death due to marine life is negligible compared to the common causes.
  2. If it is increased, is the risk significant compared to all the other causes of severe harm or death when solo diving?
Basically, do I have reason to be concerned, especially in comparison to all the other causes of incidents? I've tried googling, but I can't find any definitive information. Citations / reference links in your answer would be greatly appreciated!!! Please and thank you for your help!!

When I drove cabs, people would ask if anyone has robbed me, or jumped out without paying
and I would sit my 6'4" large frame upright, inflate my chest, and turn around to stare at them

If some hear about my lifetime of diving exploits then it's, "But aren't you frightened of sharks!"

It is funny when I go around to my hairdresser, I'm introduced as, "Happy he dives with sharks!"

186 DSC06693.JPG

A look at the injuries I've sustained, I think the thing I should have bought, was a bubble house
Instead I looked at my personalities and got rid of the ones that couldn't control their thoughts

I've got a great OP Shop find. Marine Animal Injuries to Man or something
Solved the issue of a 6 months of festering urchin spine, in my finger joint

I dive like this in Queensland, maybe it's a buoyancy thing

364 26232328_1795887217119559_5507116560859510058_oa.jpg

Yeah night dives, or dusk dives without switching on my torch, also SOLO

No matter, almost every dive I would come up bleeding from somewhere

Come down my way, bottom of SA where the great whites live and grab my shark shield that I've never used

"Moops, it's Moors, look the "R" is smudged!"

I’m scared of conger eels… those things are almost blind, hide inside random holes and can be pretty large (think 2 meters / 6 feet). They mostly don’t care but in poor viz, that could cost you a hand if they get spooked.

I think a bigger risk for you would be exiting water with no people around, tripping and drowning in ankle-high water or just getting injured with nobody around.

Back
Top Bottom