Marine life diving around NY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks!

I'm looking to really bone up on my underwater photography, specifically of underwater critters.

The thing is... I live in NYC. I've blown my cash on deposits for tropical diving trips so have to go local. But it seems like it's mostly wreck diving around here. And... I'm just not super into wreck diving. (Don't yell at me!)

Anyway, our "local dive spot" is Dutch Springs. So yeah- not teeming with marine life.

I've heard of Isle of Shoals (seals!!!) -- that's still a bit of a drive, but do-able. Do folks have any other recommendations?

I also have family on Cape Cod, but the diving there has pretty much stopped in the past few years because of the shark population that's moved in.

The idea of wreck diving might not thrill you, but it seems to thrill the fish! I was actually on my first northeast wreck last weekend and I was amazed at the amount of life I saw. Being that it was my first wreck, I didn't bring my camera rig along with me, but I would definitely consider it next time. Wide angle could be troublesome with the typical medium to low vis, but I could have gotten some good macro shots of various critters, including one really cool looking eel that was tucked into the wreck. I also saw the biggest horseshoe crab I've ever seen in my life. It waa covered in marine growth and barnacles and looked like it could have been 100 years old!

Local New York . LI sound

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 182
The water is green here, and for a reason. It is extremely nutrient rich. In the late summer, the Gulf Stream will curve inshore and bring a multitude of tropical species along with great viz. Enjoy the tropicals while you can, winter will finish them all off. Everything gets recycled. BTW, Good report on the wrecks here (above).

At the risk of wandering off topic, I would add that you might want to go in with a 'Plan B'. Goodie bag and a pair of shears. The mussels high above the sand are indescribable. Harvest the size you want. If you are gathering them for the same or next day, then just pull them free. If you are planning a party and need a few more days, then cut the byssal threads so you don't damage the occupant. Keep damp and in the fridge. Don't drown them in water.

Bottle of cheap acidy wine, a bit of butter, garlic. Baguette sliced, olive oil, spiced and broiled. I use Delallo 'Dipping Spices'. Heat wine mix to boiling, add mussels and stir till all shells open.

Some of the crappiest photog or wreck artifact days were totally eclipsed by inviting a neighbor or two over.

The payoff: My wife asks 'You going diving soon?'.

The idea of wreck diving might not thrill you, but it seems to thrill the fish! I was actually on my first northeast wreck last weekend and I was amazed at the amount of life I saw. Being that it was my first wreck, I didn't bring my camera rig along with me, but I would definitely consider it next time. Wide angle could be troublesome with the typical medium to low vis, but I could have gotten some good macro shots of various critters, including one really cool looking eel that was tucked into the wreck. I also saw the biggest horseshoe crab I've ever seen in my life. It waa covered in marine growth and barnacles and looked like it could have been 100 years old!
I hadn’t thought about that in the NE. I thought there was just flounder and lobster up here!

Though horseshoe crabs scared the bejeezuz out of me as a kid.

I hadn’t thought about that in the NE. I thought there was just flounder and lobster up here!

Though horseshoe crabs scared the bejeezuz out of me as a kid.
It's definitely a new challenge, but I think it might be one that's worth taking on. You could get some fantastic results. And just think, you won't be jockeying for position with 12 other divers who all want the same picture of the same turtle!

At the risk of wandering off topic, I would add that you might want to go in with a 'Plan B'. Goodie bag and a pair of shears. The mussels high above the sand are indescribable. Harvest the size you want. If/QUOTE]

No need for permits, like lobsters? Any scallops down there?

Back
Top Bottom