Marine cryptids and how to find them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WeRtheOcean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I admit I was intrigued when I first heard of the "bloop." But at the same time, I was skeptical; I had also seen the claim that the blue whale is not merely the largest animal that ever lived, but at the maximum possible size for a viable animal. The "bloop" theory seemed to me to fit the general pattern of popular mythology, i.e. the official theory does not capture the imagination, so people come up with one that feels to them more interesting.

What is even more telling is that the "evidence" for bloop turns out to have been presented in the manner of the fictional "Hunt for Red October." You may recall in that movie, the underwater rumblings, at first thought to be magma displacement, were then played back at ten times speed, only then revealing them to be the pulsing of the Red October's engines. It seems that the bloop boosters borrowed the idea -- the "bloop vocalizations" are played back at 16 times normal speed. When played at normal speed, the Antarctic icequake theory makes more sense.

I have told the story on ScubaBoard before about the eerie, ghostly wail I once heard in the middle of the night while standing watch as a Naval sonar operator. I have enough of an imagination that I could imagine a cryptid capable of making such a sound. But I also have enough background in the scientific method not to indulge in such a fantasy. There is likely an explanation that does not require a new species. Occam's razor applies.

I doubt we'll be awakening Cthulhu anytime soon.

The "bloop"? I'm missing some background here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom