Question Mares XR Weight Pocket Design/Purpose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dippy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What do you all think about these weight pockets from Mares?
IMO, the design is pretty bad and they can't really be dumped quickly.

A little more background information...
I think recently they released these new weight pockets, with a much better design:
However, the old pockets still come with some of their complete bpw listings:

IMO, the design is pretty bad and they can't really be dumped quickly.
How quickly do you need them to dump? They look fine to me, and arguably more secure than the newer ones.

While it does depend on the size of your tank, as an example with an AL80 you should be able to be positively buoyant at the surface with breath control and wetsuit expansion. Taking more than half a second to drop weight (if that's even required at all) is ok in my book.

As a new diver, your instructor may have done you a disservice by having you carry more weight than is needed. In that case, I can see cause for concern, but perhaps shedding unnecessary weight is a better approach. Can you elaborate on your situation (tank size)? Can you empty your BC at the beginning of a dive and not descend until you exhale?

I got a pair of the old style with my XR wing. I removed them, because I didn't need weight for most of my diving (no wet suit or ultra skin). I added a set of trim pockets to the belt in case I wore a wet suit (2lbs with a 2.5mm or 4-6 with 5/3mm). The new pouches you linked have been on the newer wings Mares has sent to my LDS.

How quickly do you need them to dump?
I would say as quickly as possible. Like you shouldn't have to be fumbling with both hands to remove the velcro through the D ring just for one side (even more difficult if something is clipped off there). I feel like most other systems are easily removed with only one hand, the quickest I can think of is the Zeagle Ripcord system.

I'll just leave a suggestion to read up on a "balanced rig" and say that I think the majority of single-tank divers should not need to dump weight "as quickly as possible". You may well be in the minority that do, but without more details it's hard to discuss either way.

Back
Top Bottom