Mares XR HEAVY PURE SIDEMOUNT SET

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vegetable.Diver

Registered
Reaction score
My impression (out of water) of the Mares XR Heavy Pure Sidemount Set was that's its quite robust, adjustable, great sliding D:rings and 3 areas for clipping on back of the tank. I didn't think I'd be able to reach the dump valve on the side. The rig felt comfortable on. Didn't wear any weights in the back since I got 12L steel cylinders so the whole thing felt comfy on.
Once in the water, I could manage to reach the side dump valve to my surprise. I noted the butt plate was hanging low and realised I couldn't adjust it too much upwards once I had a second look out of the water. I think the rig suits a taller person than me better (I'm 171cm). Emptying the bladder was quite cumbersome. I had to squeeze it behind me regardless of vertical or horizontal position while pulling on both valves.
Looking at the price, you really have to like it to get it.

1. Anyone with experience of sidemount - note I tried this bcd on my first sidemount dive

2. Any advice on usage of this product would be helpful for me and good feedback to Mares

3. Should I look into other models or adjust my use of this bcd?

Did you already buy one? Will you always use 12L with this harness?

Did you already buy one? Will you always use 12L with this harness?
Just rented it for the course. No the 12L steel was definitely too heavy for me. AL12L could be a good solution if I need the quantity of air.

Xdeep any models really. You could also go for the razor.

Back
Top Bottom