Mares XR Donut Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukeb

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone got any experience with either the 44lb (20kg) or 52lb (24kg) Mares XR Donut Wings? I am looking to get a bigger wing (currently diving a Hog 35lbs). I'm moving to bigger steel tanks and need more lift.

Specifically I'm trying to find out if there is much difference between the dimensions of the two sizes of wing. One video I watched implied the outer wing was the same size for both but the inner bladder was different.

If anyone has any first hand knowledge I would appreciate it!

Attachments

• xr-417512_1.jpg
    xr-417512_1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 84
So...I spoke to a very helpful dive shop owner, who stocks the Mares XR line and is very familiar with their wings. He gave me the following interesting information:

So the two single wing versions of the XR line have the same internal bladder size, but different external dimensions. The difference in lift capacity comes from the smaller wing's internal bladder not being able to fully expand due to the constrictive size of the outer shell. The larger size bladder can fully expand as it has the space to do so and this greater lift capacity.

With the double tank wings (44 & 52lbs), it is reversed. The outer shell is the same size for both, but the inner bladders are different, leading to the two different lift capacities.

The dive shop owner said he would confirm this with me after speaking with his Mares rep but if this is accurate it is an interesting way of creating wings with different lift capacities.

For my purposes (diving heavier steel tanks), I think it now makes sense to get the larger (52lb) double wing, as the drag from the outer shell will be the same for both sizes and I can just inflate as much as I need.

If anyone has the ability to confirm this please let me know. Or if anyone had dived these wings I would really like to hear your opinions on them.

Very interesting approach to manufacture just one sized bladder to suit both requirements(single).
As long as the seam on the shell can withstand the added internal expansion pressure on it. Triple stitching etc etc. I wonder if the spring on the dump valve is weaker also?

So...I spoke to a very helpful dive shop owner, who stocks the Mares XR line and is very familiar with their wings. He gave me the following interesting information:

So the two single wing versions of the XR line have the same internal bladder size, but different external dimensions. The difference in lift capacity comes from the smaller wing's internal bladder not being able to fully expand due to the constrictive size of the outer shell. The larger size bladder can fully expand as it has the space to do so and this greater lift capacity.

With the double tank wings (44 & 52lbs), it is reversed. The outer shell is the same size for both, but the inner bladders are different, leading to the two different lift capacities.

The dive shop owner said he would confirm this with me after speaking with his Mares rep but if this is accurate it is an interesting way of creating wings with different lift capacities.

For my purposes (diving heavier steel tanks), I think it now makes sense to get the larger (52lb) double wing, as the drag from the outer shell will be the same for both sizes and I can just inflate as much as I need.

If anyone has the ability to confirm this please let me know. Or if anyone had dived these wings I would really like to hear your opinions on them.
I know this recreational diver who dives doubles and he uses a 45 pound wing. I think he uses 12 litre Fabers with 2 alloy 11lt tanks under each arm. I think if you were going to dive down to 200 metres, a 52 lb pound wing might be feasible.

I agree, I don't need 52 lbs of lift. I normally try to use the minimum amount of wing (I dive a 25lb single and a 35lb double wing). But my double wing is maxed out and I need to upgrade. I was going to get the 44lb, but if the size is the same for the 44 and the 52 I can't see why not to get the bigger one. There would be no difference in drag (in theory).

As long as the seam on the shell can withstand the added internal expansion pressure on it.

It cannot. I had two 44lb Mares XR donuts rip apart on me in the same spot, both brand new, both in under a week of diving.

Did you try the 54lbs, or was that enough to put you off those wings?

It cannot. I had two 44lb Mares XR donuts rip apart on me in the same spot, both brand new, both in under a week of diving.
Wow!
No good then.
Have you brought up the matter with that helpful dive shop owner?

Why do you need the bigger volume? Are those very high pressure steel tins (e.g. 300bar)?

I ask as I've dived with a standard 12 litre twinset (HP90's?) with up to ali80 3 stage cylinders (2x deco, 1x bottom stage) for years with a Halcyon Evolve 40 lb / 18kg doughnut wing. Have never needed more buoyancy. The smaller wing is better for streamlining, etc.

You only need sufficient weight to counteract your SMB+reel and all gas -- bearing in mind that ali80's float when empty so aren't 'heavy' in the water.

I'm diving Double HP 120s (equivalent to about double 15Ls) with just one ALU 40 (5.5L) deco bottle. I currently use a 35lbs (16 kg) Hog Donut Wing (diving wet). It is completely maxed out at depth at the beginning of the dive. It works, but it isn't comfortable. Plus I won't be able to add stage tanks in the future without a bigger wing. I always try and use the smallest wing possible (I like streamlined too!), but I am definitely in need of an upgrade. I've had some good advice on SB in another thread on which direction to go with wings (Dive Rite and Halycon specifically), but the price of these of these Mares Wings make them hard to ignore.

Do you dive dry being in the UK? That would probably allow for you to use a smaller wing. I'm from the UK originally and always needed more weight to counter the buoyancy of my drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom