Mares vs Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wstein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for a little input from anyone that has used or ownes either a Mares Journey or Oceanic Pro Tour BCD's.

I am looking to get a new BC because my current one is getting to big. It is a Oceanic vest, can't remember the model and I am too lazy to go unpack it right now.

Anywho, Divers Direct here in Fl has both and they are resonably priced ($250). Plus another reason I am looking at them is because they are back inflation models and I want to get ride of the bulky feeling a vest gives you.

How are they, easy to dive, are they easy to move around in. Since both are weight intergrated, how are those systems. I know on my old Oceanic that the power inflater is a little slow, how is it on the Mares and the newer Oceanic?

Any feedback is appericated.

Thanks,
Paul

The "Journey" looks to be the older version of the "Jubilee." Great BC from everyone I know that have dived one. The inflator is the same as the rest of the Mares line, and they work great. Not a problem out of a single one of them here at work and there should be with as much abuse as they are subjected to.

Have 50 or so dives on my Journey and love it. Very comfortable, a bit heavy out of the water but great in.

CAPT HOOK:
Have 50 or so dives on my Journey and love it. Very comfortable, a bit heavy out of the water but great in.

Sounds good, so far 2 good reviews of the Journey, nothing on the Oceanic yet.

Paul

wstein:
Sounds good, so far 2 good reviews of the Journey, nothing on the Oceanic yet.

Paul
I can't speak for the Pro Tour itself (as I dive it's big brother the Chute 3), but I know that it is very well made, but the weight pockets are a little harder to get to than the Chute 3 (though they are of the "QLR" type format). I studied up on both, and while the Pro Tour and Chute 3 are both excellent BCs and the Pro Tour has a little more "tec" look to it, I chose the Chute 3 out of comfort. There is another thread just down from this one with some good info on the Chute 3 should you decide to make that an option as well.

I have a pro tour and love it. It's great for travel and has enough lift that you never have to worry about that. It is more on the tech side, minimal in the front so not a lot of pockets but plenty of rings to hang stuff on, only about 25 dives on it but really comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom