Mares V16 and MR22 or Poseidons??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunfire85

Registered
Reaction score
I am considering two mares regulators and wanted your guys opinions on both. The Mares V-16 Proton (all metal) and the Mares MR22 Abyss. Can anyone give me some differences between the two and their recommendation? Also, as far as an octopus goes, would the Mares Proton Metal octopus be suitable?
You may have noticed above that I am listing all Mares, yes that is true. My dive instructor recommended Poseidon regs but the price tag is just too much for me. Looking through the boards and talking to my dive instructor he said Mares would be ok and it seems the general dive populace really likes them. Does anyone have an opinion on the Poseidon regs and octopuses? Would the extra money for the Poseidon be worth it? Would I notice a difference or life of the regs/octopuses? Thanks.

Ok,
I will quickly vote Abyss. Both regs are great, so you really can't go wrong. IMO I think the Abyss breathes better. I could go on to say why, but i'm sorry I don't have the time this morning. If this thread is still going after my meetings Sun, then I'll give my .02cents. :) The proton metal octopus will be suitable for either the Abyss or the v16 proton metal. It sounds like you on a little bit of a budget, if that's so you could save a few bucks and go with the regular polymer Proton octo, not the metal. Although the metal is nice.

Happy Diving,

I own three reg. Mares Abyss, Poseidon Deep 90, and Apex atx 200. Let Me break them Down

Poseidon Is the best reg I have ever used. It has a servo needle in the second stage vs. the standard diaphragm. More air, Some people complain that they feel like it almost forces the air into their lungs.

Second it the Apex. Great breather, durable, and right up there with the Poseidon.

Then The Abyss, This also is a great reg for a great price. Here in Utah I can pick up a Poseidon for about the same price as the Abyss, So either way you look at it you cant loose.

I own the abyss and love it, easy breathing at 100+ fsw. Breathed a buddy's at depth who had an Apex and it was harder. Don't own any others, but I've always felt, buy the best or highest level you can afford, therefore abyss over proton. You can grow with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom