Mares Target mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacknet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone out there use/own this mask? I would like to hear what you thought/think about this mask.

Ed

but probably won't get to use it until mid-December. After the demise of my much beloved original mask, I purchased a new mask that did not work well for me, and, miracle of miracles, my LDS actually agreed to an exchange!

Well, Blacknet, the diving I had planned to do this weekend didn't happen after all. I was bummed, but on Sunday, I packed up the mask, snorkel, and a bathing suit and drove off to the YMCA to check it out in the pool. What can I say? I was desperate. Anyway, I free dove (dived? We have been through this, I know) to the bottom of the deep end, snorkeled the length of the pool, and then tested it with the snorkel in place underwater to simulated a regulator in my mouth. I did get a few puzzled looks out of the lifeguard, but other than that no problems! And no leaks! I have a small face, so a good fit is really important.

While snorkeling with it, I noticed how the really low profile means a lot less drag. I think this is a keeper, although the black silicone skirt is going to make me look mean. It didn't make things noticeably darker underwater, either. I could see very little of the frame from the inside looking out.

I dont know to much....well....anything about the "target" mask. Im currently in the market for a new mask, and havent found much information on it thus far. I'm currently looking at the Mares "Opera" mask. Mostly because its low volume, good looks, and the Mares name. Is there a good place online where I could find a good description of the "target". The "opera" comes in either a clear silicone skirt, or with a slightly more expensive black skirt, which I prefer in order to filter out any light seepage in my peripheral vision.

I have the Sporasub's version of that mask-it's made by Mares and it's very low volume-great for free diving. I'ts the mask I prefer for scuba, too.

Get the all black, not cause it looks good(it does look cool) but just like ScubyDoo says "it filters out all the peripheral light" that can REALLY be anoying when your snorkeling.

Hi,
I use the Mares Lirica. Clears real easy, looks cool, and comes in Tech Black for $5 more. I have heard it said that this mask is almost self-purging. The lens gets bigger at the bottom and towards the outside. The perfect place for my Dive-Optics. They are there when I need them, but don't interfere with my normal vision.

Hello,

The other weekend I tried my new target mask in the springs and it was awsome! Was so close at times I could feel my eye lashes brushing the glass. Rated at 4 cubic inches of space it's about the lowest volume mask I have ever seen. Great for freediving and snorkeling.

I was messing with the strap and lost the retainer clip, called mares and they shiped me some replacments.

Ed

Hello,

Ed,

I've got 2 of them, keep a spare for back-up. Great mask, ultra low volume and above all................
looks cool.

ID

Back
Top Bottom