Mares smart air stuck in bootloader due to failed firmware update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColdLoch

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently bought a second hand Mares smart air. I'm gutted at the minute because I've not yet dived with it but it seems that trying to use Mares' software has bricked it.

I made the mistake of installing the mares app and clicking yes when it asked me to update the firmware. It got about 12% through and stopped.
The computer is now stuck in bootloader mode. It says 01boot on the screen.

If I try to connect it either to my android phone or mac, it tells me it's in bootloader mode and asks me to update the firmware. It then starts to count up but stops at varying amounts from 2% to 45%.

It looks like the mares servers are not reliable and loose connections frequently, and the software isn't well enough written to cope with that, so it just hangs without reconnecting to the servers. It also can't restore the old firmware. I'm honestly shocked at how much of a quality assurance and testing failure that is, but that's beside the point.

Has anybody seen this sort of problem before and is there any way I can either factory reset it or get the firmware installed some other way than the app?

Any help greatly appreciated. This is my first dive computer and it seems to be balked before I've even gone diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom