Mares r-2 rebel vs. prestige 12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thedutch

Reaction score
I'm new to the scuba board forum and I have been reading a lot of the posts. I want to buy my own gear for this season and I'm debating between two regs. I need some help deciding which one I should go with.

Mares r-2 rebel and Mares prestige 12

I'm planning on doing most of my dives around Montreal where the water temperature will be around 15-20 degrees celcius. I'm a student so I do have a limited budget but I want to have equipment that won't fail me. The price difference between the two regs is $150. Next year I want to get my advanced open water and start with some wreck dives. I'm in very good physical condition so the effort it requires to breath is not that much of a problem for me. What would you guys recomment for me?

Thanks so much
Marco

First of all welcome to the board, and we are glad to be involved with your first post!

To address your question. I suggest either the Rebel 12 or the Prestige 12, not the Rebel 2. In cold water I feel you will have better performance with a balanced diaphragm first stage. Yes the Prestige is more $$$, but the Rebel 12 is generally only about $50 more than the Rebel 2. This will be money well spent. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

Sincerely,

Thanks for the quick answer, I'll see if they have the rebel 12 if not I'll go for the prestige.

Thanks,

Hi Dutch, cool! Another Montrealer!! Welcome to the board!

I don't know where you intend on buying your equipment, but you should check out Scubatoys
Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!)
They have incredible prices (you can save a lot, believe me) and the best customer service I've encountered. You order will be at your place in 2 days (I've even had next day once, when I placed the order really early)! They can even make you custom package deals with the equipment you like!

Anyways, as you can see, the Mares reps are here giving out excellent advice. My grilfriend has a Mares Reg with the MR12 first stage (MR12 proton) and it breathes like a dream. They are good gear!

Cheers!:coffee:

Hi Codman,

I was thinking about buying my gear at Plongee CPAS this weekend because they are having their annual sale. I can get my full gear for around $1000 bucks including bcd, reg set, wetsuit, tank. I have a question though, some people are tellling me to buy only from an actual store here because otherwise I don't get my life time parts warranty. What is the real deal? like if I buy my from scuba toys will I still get those warranties? do I have to ship my reg back every year or can i get it serviced here by an authorized dealer and get the warranty? If i can get the warranty online than I can indeed save a lot of money, if not I will end up saving in the end by buying it from a dealer.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you Codman,

Hi Dutch, 1000$ for the full gear, including tank? That is a good price. CPAS is also my dive shop and I encourage you to buy there, if there is no major price difference. They are a good shop and deserve your business. Unfortunately in the past, I've got much better prices buying over the net (and I mean much better). But if what you say is true, 1000$ for all that is a good deal! Depending on the gear you get for that price, it could definetly be worth it for you to buy from CPAS! I suggest you shop on scubatoys a bit to compare prices for what you want to buy. Don,t forget, you will get a 10% discount at scubatoys for being a scubaboard member...

As far as the parts warranty goes, I honnestly don't know if CPAS would grant it to you if you bought it in the US. I believe they are supposed to (ZAk and Phil can correct me on this if I am wrong), especially since Scubatoys is an authorised Mares dealer... but will they? I don't ask for free parts when I have my regs serviced by CPAS and they don't ask me where I bought it. They are happy to have my business and service my regs (they don't make a scene because I didn't buy it there). But I do know the product warranty will apply, no problem...

The only reason I didn't buy my gear from them was the price. I saved a lot... But then again, I didn't shop there during their annual sale. The sale might just bring the prices back to being interesting for you! And of course, having bought your gear there, they will take extra care of you as a good client. Just make sure you get fitted by the "good staff". Unfortunately, the staff is not all equally good in there and advice and fitting will vary...:popcorn: Patrick and André know their stuff. Try to get them to help you if you can...

Well, that's pretty much what I think of it! If the price difference isn't that much, buy local!!!!

Cheers!:coffee:

Hi Codman,

I was thinking about buying my gear at Plongee CPAS this weekend because they are having their annual sale. I can get my full gear for around $1000 bucks including bcd, reg set, wetsuit, tank. I have a question though, some people are tellling me to buy only from an actual store here because otherwise I don't get my life time parts warranty. What is the real deal? like if I buy my from scuba toys will I still get those warranties? do I have to ship my reg back every year or can i get it serviced here by an authorized dealer and get the warranty? If i can get the warranty online than I can indeed save a lot of money, if not I will end up saving in the end by buying it from a dealer.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you Codman,

Thanks again for helping me out, I really appreciate it! I just shopped around at Scubatoys and if I buy the same gear there I'll actually pay 120 bucks more just for my reg set. In addition the bcd is the same price. So with shipping and import taxes I'll pay more. But thanks for the tip! I'm going to buy the following gear at CPAS:

reg: Mares Prestige MR12 (combined with analog gauge and octo) $599
BCD: Mares Origin $200
Wetsuit: 7mm one piece Neilpryde $100
Tank: 80 Cft aluminum tank $139

All this will be around $970 before taxes. I know that the bcd has no integrated weights but for $200 dollars I'm willing to do it. I'm on a budget and I rather save some money on my bcd and buy a reg that will last me 10 years. The bcd will still give me more than enough lift even at 100 feet down so I will be able to enjoy my diving just as much. Thanks again for your help Codman, I'll let you know when I've bought my gear.

The Dutch

Dutch, those are very good prices and you are right to buy there in that case!

Just so you know, there are no duties to pay on orders from the US. Only taxes, which you pay here anyways...

It's too bad you can't afford the integrated weights... It is really worth it... :popcorn: But I understand what being on a budget is like...:shakehead:

You could probably get the same kit at the same price from Scubatoys... But I think you are making the right choice by encouraging CPAS. Hey, for the same price, go local!!!! And you'll get good service from them too...

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom