Wanted Mares Proton Shroud/Cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

horn34

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trying to find a cover for this Mares Proton reg. Not having any luck with craigslist or ebay. Mares doesn't seem to want to sell me the part either. Any ideas? I'm guessing a shroud from an Axis or other Mares reg will work too.

Mares-Proton-reg.jpg

Mares-Proton-reg2.jpg

Shroud/cover I'm looking for

Mares-Proton-shroud.jpg

As far as I can tell, the Proton exhaust tee was only shared with the Carbon Octo 2nd stage. Mares 2018 price list did say it was available last year, and also the powder blue version from the Proton Ice. Get your LDS to order one for you, expect it to be roughly about $10. I would offer to order for you, but silly for you to pay shipping too.

Is that body plastic? I ask because the only Proton drawings I find with a removable rubber tee are for metal bodies, not plastic. The plastic bodies had a molded tee and a separate inspection cover. That photo is just a bit fuzzy, but is there any chance that a plastic tee has been broken or sanded off? The edges look a little rough.
But then again, sometimes there are variations not completely documented in the reference material.

As far as I can tell, the Proton exhaust tee was only shared with the Carbon Octo 2nd stage. Mares 2018 price list did say it was available last year, and also the powder blue version from the Proton Ice. Get your LDS to order one for you, expect it to be roughly about $10. I would offer to order for you, but silly for you to pay shipping too.

Is that body plastic? I ask because the only Proton drawings I find with a removable rubber tee are for metal bodies, not plastic. The plastic bodies had a molded tee and a separate inspection cover. That photo is just a bit fuzzy, but is there any chance that a plastic tee has been broken or sanded off? The edges look a little rough.
But then again, sometimes there are variations not completely documented in the reference material.
Thanks, it's a plastic body and further digging shows there's no way to just replace the exhaust cover, as it's all one piece. It's basically trash now.

How in the world did the plastic tee get broken off?!?
I would think that would have to be an intentional and difficult effort.
The guy I bought it from said the piece "just came off". The plastic is not in great shape, so I can see that happening.

Looks like I need a new Mares 2nd stage then. Anyone have one they want to part with? Don't need the hose or even a mouthpiece, just the 2nd stage.

It's going on a Mares MR12 DFC 1st stage with an Axis octo. I can probably drop on some other 2nd stage, but I'd prefer to stick with Mares if possible.

The guy I bought it from said the piece "just came off". The plastic is not in great shape, so I can see that happening.

Looks like I need a new Mares 2nd stage then. Anyone have one they want to part with? Don't need the hose or even a mouthpiece, just the 2nd stage.

It's going on a Mares MR12 DFC 1st stage with an Axis octo. I can probably drop on some other 2nd stage, but I'd prefer to stick with Mares if possible.
Possibly more bad news for you:
Check if that MR12 DFC first stage has one HP port or two. If only one, then the HP seat is machined into the body rather than a replaceable HP seat. Mares has not produced the poppet for that earlier version for several years, and their current poppets will perform poorly (if at all) with that original MR12 design. Current poppets are harder and more durable than the original poppet, but need a sharper "knive edge" on the HP seat to form a functional seal. (Early replaceable MR12 seats with that older design can be replaced/upgraded, but not the one that is machined into the body.)

It has 2 high pressure ports. And for anyone interested, this reg setup isn't for me, it's for a kid I'm helping out in Cozumel. He's trying to get his DM but he's using all borrowed gear. I've been finding inexpensive stuff on craigslist/ebay for him.

So if you have a spare 2nd stage reg you'd let go for cheap, it'd be for a good cause. Right now I have an old Scubapro R190 on it with a purple hose that looks real manly :D

mare-reg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom