Mares Prestige BCD w/ MRS+ weight pocket issue - Service in/near Massachusetts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Islandrs19

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Before posting, I already checked the Mares website for an authorized service provider. It does not give one anywhere near me before the map resets itself to Berlin (Germany). I have two Mares Prestige BCDs that I need to have serviced. Where in the US can I take/send them?

My wife's has the same issue I see posted about with both Dragon and Prestige BCDs. On our first trip with them, it was fine, no issues whatsoever with about 20 dives. The second trip we have used them on, mine has had no issues, but her weight pocket dropped 3 different times. Twice one of the DMs on the boat was able to retrieve it (he got an extra-large tip at the end of the week). The last time, we couldn't find it.

It seemed like they always released on her final ascent or when she was getting out of the water. I always made sure to double-check her weight pockets (and mine) before each dive because I had heard about the issue (after our first trip with them). She made sure she wasn't getting them caught on the ladder or the platform either.

It got to the point where I would hang out at the safety stop a little longer hovering under the ladder to let her get out so I could try to catch it if it came out (or watch it so I could go get it).

I know they weren't overloaded. She only had 8lbs total on her and that was between 4lbs in her trim pockets and 2lbs each in her actual weight pockets.

They need service generally, but I need someone to take a look at the pocket in the BCD itself to see if its defective. I bought a replacement pocket, but I want to make sure everything gets inspected before we head off for a two week dive trip this summer.

Where is authorized service on the East Cost of the US?

Thanks.

PS - I have seen new threads talking about this issue, I have not seen if Mares has addressed it or created a fix for the problem. If I've missed that thread, please let me know.

Hi There, Thanks for your note. We would like you to send the bcd to us directly and we will be happy to go through it and make sure everything is functioning properly. If you could send it to the following address. Be sure to include a return address and phone number for us to send it back to. If you need anything else please contact me at zohara@us.mares.com

Mares Diving
Service / Warranty
Attn: Scuba Board / Zak OHara
902 Clint Moore Rd Suite 208
Boca Raton, FL 33487

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom