Question Mares MR22T with Abyss 2nd stage, 1/2" port, and routing options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ManImCool

Registered
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Mares MR22T 1st stage with Abyss 2nd stage (specifically bought the sets in this thread) and after diving them for a week, absolutely love them.

However, despite shifting the tank bands/tank as much as possible, I constantly find myself hitting the back of my head on the 1st stage when lifting my head. It looks like if I were to simply turn the 1st stage upside down, I'd no longer have any issues with hitting my head on it. I use a BP/W setup.

I thought turning the 1st stage upside down would be a simple affair until I realized that the primary 2nd stage is hooked up to a 1/2" port on the first stage, not the standard 3/8" port. The 3 remaining low pressure ports are 3/8". There is no 1/2" port on the other side of the 1st stage that I can use if I were to flip it upside down.

Which leads me to some questions:
Does my first stage or primary Abyss 2nd stage require the use of the larger 1/2" port? If so, why?

If not, can I simply use some sort of 1/2" 3/8" adapter from DGX (whether located at the 1st stage connection or the 2nd stage/mouthpiece connection), or would that not work? Any other options?

If I can use the Abyss 2nd stage on a 3/8" port, are there any downsides to using the smaller size, whether merely a mild annoyance to a serious life-threatening danger?

Finally - if I'm stuck with the 2nd stage being forever mated with the 1/2" on that one side, are there any realistic hose routing options if I were to turn the 1st stage upside down anyway and have my 2nd stages sticking out from my left? I'm currently using the traditional 2nd stage/octo hose length setup taught in PADI, but am open to changing to primary donate configuration if it gives me better options.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom