Mares MR12 (older): Can new Tri-material HP poppet be used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeadTurn_SD

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it possible to use the new Tri-material HP poppet in older MR12 1st stages?

For example, in an older MR12 in which the poppet seat was part of the 1st stage and not replaceable as in the more recent MR12's?

The old and new HP poppets seem to be the same dimensions, the old and new springs seem the same... the only difference seems to be the seat (part of the 1st stage versus a removable part).

FYI: I did just rebuild a old MR12 last night and used the new Tri-material HP poppet and all is good and it works well (dry land tests only so far)... but since I am "sans shop manual" for this reg thought maybe I should have checked first :eyebrow:

Anyone have experience doing this particular upgrade when servicing the older MR12's?

Thanks and Best Wishes.

Greg Barlow seems to be the resident Mares expert...maybe PM him...and also post this over on the Mares manufacturers thread.

Thanks scubafanatic.... I must have been really tired, I had meant to post this in the Mares section as well.... but after seeing your reply realized I hadn't and did a search over there and found the info ( in fact I was especially tired and plain forgot to search prior threads earlier too :wink: ).

Answer: Yes. Tri-material poppet can be retrofitted to the older MR12.

Now I'll go get some sleep :D

Best wishes.

Yes, the tri-material seats can be used in the Mares diaphragm first stages w/o replaceable HP hard seats. I have a number of my own regs that contain the upgraded parts.

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom