Mares MR 42 Abyss Servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

horn34

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found a good deal on an old Mares MR 42 Abyss that has been closeted for years, but not sure about servicing. Some of the posts I've read indicate the MR 42 is unique, was replaced by the MR 22, and may be difficult or impossible to service. Thoughts?

MR42-1.jpg

I have two MR42s that I use as stage regs and have no issue having them serviced.

I have two MR42s that I use as stage regs and have no issue having them serviced.
Where are you getting them serviced? Just a random Mares affiliated LDS or what?

It is unique, but Mares still has all the service parts available.

Here is a 42 flanked by a pre-2008 22 and a 32 (which is a 22 with excess metal trimmed away, with minor changes this morphed into the post-2008 22). Such a cutie!

IMG_20210212_102143337_HDR.jpg

Edit. The 42 was really replaced by the compact 52, not the 22 which is considerably larger.

Thanks all, I think I'll pick this rig up

While service kits for the MR42 are currently available, the critical parts inside are different than all the others in Mares' line up of diaphragm 1st stages. Just be aware that if you are a traveling diver, it may be difficult to get service on the fly if your 1st stage develops a problem.

I have nothing against the MR42 and dive a couple of the old large chunky brass MR22/Abyss 1st stages with Abyss turbo 2nd stages (circa 2000-2004)...my opinion (and I realize everyone has one) is that I would pass on the MR42 and instead look for a deal on the MR22, MR15, MR32, or MR52.

-Z

Just be aware that if you are a traveling diver, it may be difficult to get service on the fly if your 1st stage develops a problem.
Or take a service kit with you. You can get them from European dealers or possibly a US dealer if you explain why you need one. For a full kit, you'll need to add an extra first stage diaphragm (which is the same as the one in the 15x, 25xr and 52x so should not be a problem to find) and what Mares calls the HP poppet, aka valve or seat. This thing: Mares Poppet for 1st stage MR42T

...my opinion (and I realize everyone has one) is that I would pass on the MR42 and instead look for a deal on the MR22, MR15, MR32, or MR52.
I'd say that it depends on how good a deal it is, including the condition and whether you need the second stages. A post-2008 Abyss second is one of the all time classic metal seconds.

For example, I have the 42 and 32 in my picture upthread because they came with Proton Metal seconds that I was looking for. I doubt I'll ever use them, but for what I paid for the sets it doesn't bother me. Actually, I may use the 42 to build a lightweight regset for my daughter when she gets old enough. FWIW, I paid $15 for the heavy old 22 just to play with it. It's in such bad shape that I wouldn't want to attempt to put it back in service.

But back to Zef's point. Mares regs are underappreciated in general. If you aren't in a hurry, you can eventually get exactly what you want at a very good price. For me, that's a post-'08 22 with Proton Metal seconds.

The whole notion of a "lightweight" 1st stage is only really relevant if one is traveling by air and is overly concerned about the weight of their luggage and baggage fees. In reality when that 1st stage is attached to a tank its weight is fairly inconsequential. Again, just my opinion.

-Z

The whole notion of a "lightweight" 1st stage is only really relevant if one is traveling by air and is overly concerned about the weight of their luggage and baggage fees.
Some of us are concerned about that, especially as the number of divers in the family increases. Also the size and strength of the diver matters. My daughter probably will be on the smaller side when she turns 12.

Anyway, just for fun...
IMG_20210212_151807.jpg

IMG_20210212_151748.jpg

Some of us are concerned about that, especially as the number of divers in the family increases

Convert the first stages to DIN

Where are you getting them serviced?

My LDS, who is not a Mares dealer, but they have a decent trustworthy technical team.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom