Mares MR 22 Abyss, Aqualung Legend LX or Apeks ATX200?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaevis

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm considering one of the following... anyone care to comment which one's better? Are these regulators considered in the same league?

Also, can anyone advice me on the differences of Abyss 2nd stage and Abyss Octopus? They seem to be identical.

Thanks!

Jaevis,

All 3 are good regs. I personally dive the MR22 Abyss, but I know people who dive the Apeks and the Aqualung, and they are very pleased with them. My suggestion would be to talk to people, try them out in the pool and in open water.

The only difference between the Abyss 2nd stage and the Octo is the color of the hose and the 2nd stage.

Hope this helps...

Randy Cain

Well, I have an Apeks TX100 and love it. But as Randy said, they are all well thought of. Try them out and see which you like best. As long as you can get it serviced locally, you will likely be happy with any of them.

Phil

All of them are excellent regs that are top of the line.
I'll second the recommendations to test each of them for yourself and see which of them you'll like most :wink:
Serviceability is always an issue.
BTW, I dive the Mares MR22/Abyss

I dive with both, the Aqualund Legend LX Supreme and the Mares Abyss. Both are good regulators, however I do prefer my Aqualung Legend over the Abyss. At depth - 80-130 feet - the Aqualund Legend seems to breath much easier. I have my regulators serviced at least twice a year since I dive them several times per week and I know that they are tuned properly. I agree with the prior posts - all a good regs, but see if you can try them for yourself before purchasing and see which you prefer.

i dive my abyss all the time and love it.

took it down to 60 last weekend and worked like a charm :)

I can't comment on the other two, but I use the apeks 200, have had it for about two years and have about 50 dives on it and it still works like brand new. Always breaths dry and easy. The only down fall of this reg is it was a bit pricey, but not knowing what the others sell for it maybe comparable. :eyebrow:

jonahfab:
I can't comment on the other two, but I use the apeks 200, have had it for about two years and have about 50 dives on it and it still works like brand new. Always breaths dry and easy. The only down fall of this reg is it was a bit pricey, but not knowing what the others sell for it maybe comparable. :eyebrow:

I've got 15 dives on the Aqualung LX and love it. Very nice reg. Not sure if it's true but a tech told me that the Aqualung LX is essentially the same as the Apeks ATX200. I think he said he could rebuild the LX with the ATX200 service kit. Not sure if it's true....anybody know?

humanFish:
I've got 15 dives on the Aqualung LX and love it. Very nice reg. Not sure if it's true but a tech told me that the Aqualung LX is essentially the same as the Apeks ATX200. I think he said he could rebuild the LX with the ATX200 service kit. Not sure if it's true....anybody know?

Aqualung bought Apeks which is located in the UK. Shortly after that they finally came out with their first "Class A" reg the Legend.

I am not in the business but I understand that the legend is based on the Apex.

Incidently the Zeagle regs are also copies or at least based on and very similiar to the Apeks.

I use the original :)

Gary

Thanks everyone for your inputs. May I know where can I get specs on Legend LX? Not listed on their webby.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom