Mares MR-12 Proton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is this worth snagging? On sale until the end of the day.

So I am a relative noob recreational diver. I get 1 dive trip a year (give or take). Since I have 11 day Bonaire/Curacao trip booked, and renting is about 1/2 the price of this reg I figure its time to get a few pieces of my own gear. Maybe not a BC (bulky), but reg/octo/backup/computer are on the list (fins, mask, snorkel already in the closet).

So would this be a reasonable item to get? Or what else should I look at? Or should I just keep renting?

BTW: for computer I am looking at the Aries Atmos 1 Console on closeout for $150. Bad choice???

Thanks!
Jeremy

I've had one for 4 years. Great 1st stage, mediocre 2nd stage. Light weight and small size make it a great pony/stage reg or for travel
Would be OK for the annual vacation.

I bought a Mares R2 (piston 1st stage) for my daughter. She loves it.

If I lost my Conshelfs, I would replace with a MR12 Proton.

Thanks. I just got off the phone with Larry at ScubaToys. They have the next level up - V16-proton XL for $210 (slightly cheaper in pkg). Says its a better reg mainly due to spherical seat so save bucks on the (now bi-annual) checkup. So in a couple years I would save all the extra cost.

Opinions?

I dont mind spending a couple bucks when its worth it. Just not diving enough to spend $400 on a reg.

The MR12 Axis was my first reg. It will do the job. I like the Mares regs for the simplicity- no knobs or dials. I don't have any experience with the V16 or the proton 2nd stage, but I don't think that Larry would steer you wrong. Go for it.

I've had the MR-12 proton from last year May and took it into 51 degree water at 40ft and did not have a problem. Im sure it can go lower in temp and deeper but I just havent tried it yet. Love the size of it. I once purged the octo and BC while taking deep breaths from the 2nd stage and it worked like a charm. I beleive the MR12 was rated by the navy to be able to support 2 divers working hard at depth. Im sure the
V16 can do the same..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom